LED Lighting

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

LED Lighting

Postby Andrew Mc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:00 pm

Following my question of 6th September 2018 in regard to LED lighting which to date I haven’t had a reply on the Forum, I have now found what I think to be a suitable LED lighting unit and would appreciate your advice on the following query: I want to replace the existing fluorescent lighting on my two low tech planted aquariums, both are just moderately planted with Amazon Swords, Anubis, Hygrophila, Java Fern and Java Moss. With the proposed new lighting I would like to try a few of the more light demanding plants but still remain low tech.

The tank dimensions and stock are as follows:
Tank No. 1. Community, small fish Harlequins and Zebra Dianions etc Tank 36” Long X 12” Wide X 17” High (91.5Cm. Long X 30.5Cm. Wide X 43Cm. High)

Tank No. 2. Species a shoal of thirty Cardinal Tetras. Tank 48” Long X 12” Wide X 17” High (122 Cm. Long X30.5 Cm. Wide X 43 Cm. High)

I am interested in purchasing the Interpet LED Lighting System product code 51471 or a 51472 for tank No. 1. and a 51473 or a 51474 for tank No. 2.
The difference in the case of each tank is the option of going for either a two bar or a three-bar light unit. With there not being a lot of difference in the price, I would normally go for the better light output but my concern is, would the three-bar light unit produce too much light in the absence of CO2 injection and lead to algae problems, and more importantly would it stress the fish, especially the cardinals, as the substrate in their tank is a light-coloured natural gravel?

Thank you in anticipation of your help.
Andrew Mc

Re: LED Lighting

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:08 am

I do not use LEDs myself (haven't got around to changing the fluoros) but have not heard of them being worse than other lights for algae or other stuff.
As an aside, I wouldn't have cardinals in a tank with light gravel as it wipes out the fish's colouration. They are a lot more colourful against a dark substrate.
If you have a well planted tank you should be able to keep algae at a minimum since it competes with the plants for the nutrients. Lots of plants and lower fish stocks help.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums