floating plants,

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

floating plants,

Postby wilfy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:21 am

hi gang ,need a bit of help if possible,my tank is planted with artificiol plants, after reading that floating plants ,like crystalwart are great for redusing algie as well as helping cleen water of unwanted nutriants ,and is a great plant for fry to hide in ,anyone know where i can get hold of this plant,tryed a number of aqua centres,N.E.england,a local aqua centre told me about a plant called azolla but a bit unsure as it can be verry hard to controll,all help welcome. :idea: :idea: :idea:
wilfy

Re: floating plants,

Postby englishmx » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 am

Try this Wilfy if you are after floating plants....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Amazon-F ... 236wt_1271
Mike...
englishmx

Postby wilfy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 pm

ty mike ,should get delivery by wednesday-thursday,looks like just the plant im after. :D :D :D :D
wilfy

Re: floating plats,

Postby cobden28 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:50 pm

I use salvinia.

It grows so thickly in my tropical tank that periodically I have to thin it out and dispose of the surplus. I usually chuck the excess from the tank onto my garden pond, where it also thrives although in winter it does tend to die off.

By letting the salvinia cover the surface of the pnd and stay that way for a few weeks at a time, it also does an excellent job of blocking out the sunlight that the 'orrible thread algae needs to grow - so periodically I let the pond surface get covered with salvinia, and I don't have a problem with thread algae now.
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 am

Salvinia is banned in my country so I would suggest 2 common plants called Water Sprite, or Indian Fern. Fast growing and good for taking up nutrients.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums