brown algae

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

brown algae

Postby twooo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi there

I am new to keeping tropical fish so haven't got a lot of experience with things just yet. I have a planted tank and everything seems to be going well, except that I am getting brown algae growing on a couple of my plants. I had hopes that my two plecos would get rid of it for me but they don't appear to be interested in it at all. I have attached a couple of photos to show this algae. WHat do I need to do to inhibit the growth of this and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance,

FISH......................SETUP
1 leopard danio
......54l tank
1 zebra danio
.........100w Sera heater
4 silver danios
........Jewel internal filter (280 l/h)
6 cardinal tetra
.......Tetratec APS 50 air pump
2 ancistrus plecos
...15w light
twooo

Re: brown algae

Postby SparkyST » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 pm

I had this too and was told it would go and is due to a new set up tank, although since my oto's have cleaned it all off now.

You could try reducing the hours you have your lights on as this would slow the growth of it.
SparkyST

Postby twooo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks, I've got the light on for 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening at the moment. Will cut it down to 3.5 & 3.5 hours maybe. Do you think I should stop feeding the plecos with 1/2 an algae wafer each day in order to try and encourage them to start having a go at the existing brown algae? Since it is a fairly new tank (about 8 weeks now) there is very little green algae still for them to feed on, which is why I was supplimenting their diet.
FISH......................SETUP
1 leopard danio
......54l tank
1 zebra danio
.........100w Sera heater
4 silver danios
........Jewel internal filter (280 l/h)
6 cardinal tetra
.......Tetratec APS 50 air pump
2 ancistrus plecos
...15w light
twooo

Postby SparkyST » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Plecos are very fussy on eating algae. Mine never touches it and only eats algae wafers when it feels like it.

Worth a try reducing the light. Although I'm not the most experienced on here as only been in the hobby a few months, I'm sure someone will come along and give some further advice.
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:53 pm

There is a sticky at the top of this plant forum you should read. It lists and shows different types of algae, their causes and cures...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=446
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums