Fish eating plants

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Fish eating plants

Postby glennwill » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:16 am

I have had a large (200l) aquarium for anumber of years stocked with a variety of community fish. Up until now I've used plastic plants. Recently I've introduced live plants which seem to grow fairly well (using liquid CO2 and Neutro T plant food). My problem is that the fish keep eating the plants faster than they grow.
Any suggestions?
glennwill

Re: Fish eating plants

Postby cousin it » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:59 am

could you possibly give a list of the species of fish you have in your tank, and if known the names of the plants that are being eaten.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby glennwill » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Fish: 2 large pleco, guppy, swordtail, glowlights, danio.
Plants: Unfortunately I've thown away the name tags, but there are about 5 different types and all seem to be nibbled by the fish.
Can I feed anything with my usual flake to entice them from the plants?
glennwill

Postby Carylnz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:43 pm

The only ones of those that would eat plants is the plecs and they tend to damage more than each.
Are you sure they are being nibbled? Maybe there is a deficiency of something that may cause ragged edges on leaves, or holes.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby glennwill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for your comments.
I'll assume the plecos are doing the damage and that they are rummaging for food.
My tank is pretty much algae-free, so I'll start to add algae wafers to their diet to see if they get less interested in the plants.
glennwill

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:42 pm

If you were not feeding them algae wafers before, what were you feeding them? Many people think plecs just scavenge but this is not true. They need a proper diet and bottom feeder wafers or pellets are important.
Carylnz

Postby glennwill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:02 pm

My last post was a little unclear, what I meant to say is that I'll try feeding more algae wafers than I have been - but I'm always fearful of overfeeding.
glennwill

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Feed them just before, or after, lights out too as they are nocturnal so might dispose of the wafers more quickly in low light so ease your overfeeding fear. It would take a lot to overfeed plecs I think! They are major hoover and even bigger poo machines!
Your problem will only get worse though as the plecs grow. Live plants and plecs don't go well together. They do not intentionally damage the plants but destroy them as they move and rummage about. They occasionally suck on them to remove the algae too and on the wide leaved plants this often destroys the leaves. The fine leaved plants just get squashed then die off.
Carylnz

Postby glennwill » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks for the advice. The 2 plecs are large, bought them when they were about 2 inches long, now both grown to 14 inches.
glennwill

Postby ady » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:44 pm

big old plecos you have....

have you used cucumber and courgette to feed em.....they love it.....i use a stainless steel knife to hold it down ( too tight to buy a screwcumber) :rofl:

dont leave it in too rot and disperse,or you will get water issues......

this mite help discourage them from ya plants
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums