Can anyone please ID these plants?

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Can anyone please ID these plants?

Postby davidjp1982 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:42 pm

The guy at my local fish store is friendly enough but in his own words "has no idea" what the plants are that he sells. I have previously bought plants that turned out not to be aquatic at all and merely rotted away after a time. I just wonder if anyone could identify the plants that I currently have in my tank:

I believe the one on the left is Anubias? And the one on the right Wisteria? The Wisteria seems to be the only plant that flourishes in my tank - roots like crazy !

Am coming to the conclusion that these two are non aquatic plants..either that or they just don't want to know in my aquarium! Any ideas?
davidjp1982

Re: Can anyone please ID these plants?

Postby Carolann » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:05 pm

I am NO expert but i didnt think wisteria was a tank plant it is usually a climbing plant on houses. The 2nd picture I have in my tank mine must be different variety as it is has light edges to the leaves had it a couple of months and it is doing ok , not the fastest grower but it is growing But sorry I cant remember name of it.
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 am

There are some plants that often have the same common name - Ceratopteris pteroides, Ceratopteris thalictroides and Hygrophila difformis. All are often referred to, interchangeably, as Indian fern, water sprite and water wisteria.
C. pteroides is usually Indian fern, C thalictroides is usually water sprite and the H difformis is water wisteria.
Wisteria is a stem plant, the leaves grow from a central stalk. Water Sprite has stemmed leaves that unroll from a central location. I think you are correct in your wisteria ID.

The left hand plant could well be Anubias barteri v nana

I have no idea about the last two but suspect they may not be aquatic, due to the fleshy look of their stems.

Plants can be difficult as most sold in the trade are grown emersed (above water). This means their leaves often look totally different when they get submersed. Often, a person takes a plant home and adds it to the tank, not realising it has only recently been added to the shop tank submersed when it had previously been emersed, so dies because of the sudden change in water depth.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby davidjp1982 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for the responses - I have ditched the non aquatic suspects and ordered some water sprites from ebay to take their place - thanks very much for confirming my suspicions :)
davidjp1982

Postby Carolann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 pm

I wanted some floating plants but was struggling to get them, so I cheated and bought a large ball shaped plastic plant and took all the individual bit off to float on top of tank, it is working ok and doing what I wanted ie cover for new born to hide in and also something for the 2 crabs I got to crawl out on.
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm

A lot of the floating plants like a lot of light so that may be a problem for some who are unsuccessful.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums