Planting query.

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Planting query.

Postby cobden28 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:22 pm

I have a 4 ft tropical tank in my living room, planted and with a selection of 'community' fish that are doing well. My problem is that the pair of bristlenose catfish I have ensure, with one thwack of their tails, that anything not very well rooted is soon floating up at the surface :( . My livebearers and gourami make short work of any fine-leaved plants so I've found by trial and error plants that suit my set-up are vallisneria, anubias, cryptocoryne and hygrophilia. They look good, stay rooted and don't get chewed up.

My latest plant purchase is cryptocoryne balansae, which I want to have growing along the back wall of the tank. When I split up the parent plant into five separate little plants, how far apart should I plant each little plant?
cobden28

Re: Planting query.

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:21 pm

This plants grows in height, more than width. It can be used in the background, as a center piece, single plant or in a tightly planted group. Space them as close or as far apart as you like but always at the back or sides. Bear in mind they grow over 30cm tall so need a tank with height.
Are you sure you have bristlenoses and not plecs? My bristlenoses have never dislodged anything. At one point I had about 15 of them, up to 10cm, in a 4ft with no plant uprooting problems.
Perhaps your substrate is not deep enough for the plants to root firmly?
I also discovered that if you have tiger barbs, you can't have star grass :roll:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Planting query.

Postby cobden28 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm

I chose this plant after seeing it growing in the display tank that our aquarist society has set up at the community centre where we meet; I wanted a plant that will grow to the surface of the tank (18" deep).

I'm sure my fish are bristlies and not plecs; I bought each from different fish shops locally who I trust to properly ID their stock. The male, an albino, has a fine head of bristles on him.

When I first set up the tank two years ago the gravel was set up so it was deeper at the back than the front, and I suppose over time the gravel has gradually levelled out, and I think it's where the bristlies are now mature adults they've taken to excavating the gravel. At the back of the tank, where I'm planning on putting my new plant purchase, the level of the gravel is particularly lowered so I'm going to have to buy some more gravel to buld up the height of the gravel at the back. Once there's enough depth of gravel I can safely plant the cryptocoryne with a reasonable likelihood they'll establish and hopefully spread out.
cobden28

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums