Mixture of live and plastic plants

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Mixture of live and plastic plants

Postby Miggy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 am

Can I have a mixture of real and plastic plants, as I o not be able too keep one plants only ferns :)
Miggy

Re: Mixture of live and plastic plants

Postby SparkyST » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Yes you can, plastic plants obviously dont need any attention and wont effect live plants at all.
SparkyST

Postby prussell » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:47 pm

I have used a mixture of real and artificial plants. The aquarium had an undergravel filter at one end which is detrimental to plants. Therefore I had artificial plants at the filter end and real ones at the other. I used silk plants; I think they look more realistic than plastic but they are more expensive. Incidentally, I found that the best agent to clean algae off silk plants is ‘milton’ which is sold to sterilise babies’ bottles. It does not decolourise the plants nor does it leave any harmful residuals. It is also moderately priced.
prussell

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:58 pm

The only reason an under gravel filter should be detrimental to your live plants is if the substrate was not deep enough.
As said, it is fine to mix live and plastic (or whatever artificial stuff they are made out of) plants.
A good hint re the Miltons! I would not have thought of that stuff (years since I had to sterilise baby bottles :lol: )
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums