LED Lighting

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

LED Lighting

Postby prussell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:16 am

Does anyone know if Alcadia Eco-Aqua LED lights are suitable for planted tanks?
prussell

Re: LED Lighting

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm curious too. They are much cooler looking and cheaper to run. Are you just doing a straight swap from the fluoresce tube bulb
Darryl1984

Postby cousin it » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:56 pm

I have not heard any good reports about plant growth and the strip type eco aqua lights, although the spotlight led unit that arcadia make is supposed to be pretty good for plant growth.

I use led lighting on all my planted tanks now but I use the TMC Grobeam units which I have had in use for several years and the plant growth is very pleasing although they are slightly more expensive than the arcadia units I feel the extra outlay is worth it.

The grobeam 600 ultima strips are very bright, the warranty from TMC is very good, 5 years on the leds and about 1 year on the power supplies, I have had to have a few of the older design units replaced due to led failure but the process has always been very easy. The newer design strips have apparently fixed the fault that caused the led failure which will be handy as I have 10 of the strips running on different tanks and 2 of the 1500 ultima tiles running on another tank.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby prussell » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:40 pm

I currently have 2xT8 tubes giving me about 1.8 WPG. I was thinking of upgrading to a higher energy system when the current tubes fall due for replacement. The promotional information I have seen about the Arcadia LED‘s extols the benefits regarding running costs and enhancements of fish colours but curiously, no mention of plants.
prussell

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums