Brand new planted tank from scratch

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Brand new planted tank from scratch

Postby andym127 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi all,

I need some advice...I am planning on starting a brand new planted tank from scratch. Now, I've kept fish for 15 years but I've been spectacularly unsuccessful at growing any sort of plant life in my aquariums! Everything eventually withers and dies. In the past I've tried many different things including co2 which gave some positive results for a while, but ultimately never really impressed me, so I need some help. At the moment I have an existing tank with T5 lighting, no co2 with a sandy gravel base and have some vallis that can just about grow but look pretty shocking to be honest.

The new tank I'm going to use is a fluval f90, from that point I'm open to suggestions on aspects of substrate, co2, whatever, to make it work. The water parameters from my existing tanks are 197ppmKH, 264ppmGH, 7.6ph.

All suggestions appreciated!
andym127

Re: Brand new planted tank from scratch

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:41 am

Not sure I can help as my plants grow happily no matter what I do!
I have a 4ft tropical with standard aquarium gravel planted from 5cm deep in front to higher at the back.
Lights are 4 basic "daylight" white fluorescents on a timer so are on around 12 hours a day.
I have never used fertilisers or special substrates.
Tank is lightly stocked at the moment.
The red rotala keeps getting heavily pruned as it overtakes everything.
There is also Java moss (came in on another plant and now wraps itself around everything) growing well.
Java fern is attached to driftwood as is Anubias nana.
There's crypt in front centre and a tiger lotus front left. The lotus tends to get stringy as it needs more light than it gets.
Mini sagittaria makes up the rest of the plants.

From experience, I think one of the most common reasons people's plants don't do well is because the substrate is not deep enough. 5cm is minimum.
Plants also need a good light period to enable them to photosynthesise correctly. 10 - 12 hours is good. 8 hours minimum. That is 8 hours in a row, not 4 in the morning, switching them off, then 4 more in the evening when you are home again.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Brand new planted tank from scratch

Postby mizmeena » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:37 am

[quote="andym127"]Hi all,

I need some advice...I am planning on starting a brand new planted tank from scratch. Now, I've kept fish for 15 years but I've been spectacularly unsuccessful at growing any sort of plant life in my aquariums! Everything eventually withers and dies. In the past I've tried many different things including co2 which gave some positive results for a while, but ultimately never really impressed me, so I need some help. At the moment I have an existing tank with T5 lighting, no co2 with a sandy gravel base and have some vallis that can just about grow but look pretty shocking to be honest.

The new tank I'm going to use is a fluval f90, from that point I'm open to suggestions on aspects of substrate, co2, whatever, to make it work. The water parameters from my existiig tanks are 197ppmKH, 264ppmGH, 7.6ph.

SOmetimes it depends on the water you have. You might not have enough minerals in your water. Try some iron or potassium and a all around plant food. They will carry these at your local fish store. dose your tank a couple times a week. Good luck
mizmeena

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums