Horizontal growth?

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Horizontal growth?

Postby Wombatant » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi there, I primarily have a cichlid tank, but I have some questions about my 30g planted community tank.

First, some info about the tank. I like the way my planted tank is looking so far. I dose weekly with seachem complete, and I dose Co2; 2 weeks on, then two weeks off, typically between making a new batch of yeastystuffs. I have an Aquaticlife lighting fixture, 2x39 watts, 36" long freshwater (which I love), and it has one 650nm Pink Roseate bulb and one 6,000°K bulb.

The fish are all thriving and are as follows - 1 bristlenose pleco, 4"long. 5 albino corycats. 30-50 red cherry shrimp. 5-8 Yellowjacket Endlers.

I have two questions that I couldn't find the answer to on this forum yet. Before I ask, let me show you some pictures.

My questions are as follows:
1. When should i trim the amazon's dying leaves? I notice some have just a little bit of yellowing, should i remove them from the stem right away? I know some in there need to be trimmed, but when do I call it a dead leaf?

2. How can I encourage more horizontal growth? Is there a good bulb that will encourage it? I know that most of the plants i have are tall growers, but some, like the cryptocorynes in the last picture, have potential to shoot off in every direction. How can i encourage this?

Thanks for any help,

-Wombatant.
Wombatant

Re: Horizontal growth?

Postby Rockfish » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact time to remove older/decaying leaves, but if they are turning yellow or brown or becoming holed, then it's a good idea to remove them, as dying leaves are a drain on the plant's resources. Trimming them off is also likely to encourage new healthy leaf growth. With sufficient nutrients, the above symptoms should be reduced/eliminated.

Plants that spread horizontally through runners should naturally do so when thriving. Some crypts, etc expand rapidly this way. The way to encourage it is good lighting (which you seem to have), along with good fertilisation and CO2. One thing that might cause you some issues is using CO2 intermittently. If the plants are growing well with the given amount of light, nutrients and CO2, and then the CO2 is suddenly reduced, this might cause plant growth to stall, which is also when algae can get the upper hand. A more constant CO2 supply will be better for encouraging more horizontal spread of your plants.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Re: Horizontal growth?

Postby Wombatant » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Rockfish wrote:Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact time to remove older/decaying leaves, but if they are turning yellow or brown or becoming holed, then it's a good idea to remove them, as dying leaves are a drain on the plant's resources. Trimming them off is also likely to encourage new healthy leaf growth. With sufficient nutrients, the above symptoms should be reduced/eliminated.

Plants that spread horizontally through runners should naturally do so when thriving. Some crypts, etc expand rapidly this way. The way to encourage it is good lighting (which you seem to have), along with good fertilisation and CO2. One thing that might cause you some issues is using CO2 intermittently. If the plants are growing well with the given amount of light, nutrients and CO2, and then the CO2 is suddenly reduced, this might cause plant growth to stall, which is also when algae can get the upper hand. A more constant CO2 supply will be better for encouraging more horizontal spread of your plants.

Thanks! I will try a more steady Co2 dosing schedule, hopefully that will also help my new moss background establish itself a little better in the netting, as well as encourage runners and horizontal growth. :)

Wombat.
Wombatant

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums