Liquid CO2

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Liquid CO2

Postby pirate » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:45 am

hi, can anyone me anything about liquid CO2- have you tried it, does it work?
I've previously used a home made CO2 set-up with good results but had problems dispersing the bubbles. I fed the CO2 into my Eheim ext. filter & although this worked well, it caused the impeller to rattle & caused air-locks.
I am un-abled to set up a "professional" system as yet, so was wondering if the above does work.
pirate

Re: Liquid CO2

Postby Rockfish » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi,

I've used liquid CO2 on a small system without CO2 injection and it did seem to produce quicker growth and stronger plants compared to not using it. That was with Seachem Excel and I've also used Easy-Life's Easy Carbo on medium-sized systems for short term use alongside CO2 gas or temporarily when caught out between CO2 refills.

I wouldn't say using them is as effective as a pressurised CO2 system, but there's definitely an enhancement of plant growth and suppression of algae - seemingly a widely-reported effect.

The only cautions are that some plants don't seem to thrive when it's used - Vallisneria gets mentioned a lot, and also you have to be careful with dosing if you have shrimp, as there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that a full dose used regularly will end up killing them.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums