Correct light for my tank

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Correct light for my tank

Postby danielpalfrey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:00 am

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice. I have myself a lovely planted aquarium but I have a few "more demanding plants" in response to this I started CO2 injections which are working well. I have always used a combination of root tabs and liquid ferts.

The more demanding plants are starting to look a little sickly now though and the only thing I can think of is the lighting. When I brought the tank it came with a single 20w t8 bulb. This is a 95 litre tank. Watts per gallon is a little predated so I will not get into this.

I have been looking for a decent LED set up to replace or even run along side my current lighting and found this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-LED- ... 20f75c2fde

My question is, will this be enought light for my tank?

Dan
danielpalfrey

Re: Correct light for my tank

Postby Rockfish » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi,

That looks like it would be a very strong light for that size tank. The output is already more than double your fluorescent light and with LED, the same wattage will be much more intense. So I don't think you need to worry if it's enough. As you're using CO2 then you should be able to make use of the intense light as long as there's plenty of nutrient input too.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby danielpalfrey » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks for the info, I use ferterliser tabs every 3 months and i complement those with liquid ferts, after a little trial and error with the less demanding plants I found ferts every 2 days to be about right (as opposed to every week like the bottle says) there are very green and healthy looking but when I followed the instructions they started to go brown. Once I up the light output I will again have to see how this goes and increase as neccesary.

Dan
danielpalfrey

Postby danielpalfrey » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 pm

I was also looing at a 55w 6500k compact fluorescent. it measures 54 cm in length, my tank is 80cm.
Would this be better than the led solution? I was thinking of fitting 20 of these but I think this might give off way to much light.

thanks for any input
danielpalfrey

Postby Rockfish » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:26 pm

I don't think it would be better than the LED. I'm assuming you meant "2 of these" not "20" or that really would be a bit too much!!

I can't speak for that particular unit on Ebay, but in general the LED units will last much longer whereas the fluorescent compacts seem to have a shorter life than traditional linear fluorescents, and some brands have had reliability issues with the units themselves, so personally I'd go with the LED.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 pm

I know little about all the lighting available today (and it differs from country to country) but I know LED seems to be the way aquarists are going in NZ.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby danielpalfrey » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:32 am

The problem I have with leds is when they start to fail, I had an led hood a year ago for my 40 gallon and the bulbs started failing after a 8 months, I had to then replace the entire hood or replace the individual bulbs (soldering) after waying up time against cost it would have been better to by a new led hood costing me min £100 but since the existing one barely lasted a year I couldnt justify the cost so ended up fitting a quad flourescent tube, this is still running now replaced bulbs after a year at a cost of £40

so given my experiences the cost of flourescents is less per year than the leds were.

Not really sure if I just had a bad piece of equipment or what, just kinda puts a dampner on the idea.
danielpalfrey

Postby Rockfish » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 pm

I understand your thoughts on this, especially when you've had a bad experience with a previous unit.

I think a lot of the early units were just not tried and tested - it was an emerging market and some manufacturers were to keen to exploit it without taking the time to test their products, particularly when used around water.

I've had one relatively budget brand LED (Betta) for about 3 years now and not one of the individual LEDs has failed. I'm also using an Arcadia Stretch at the moment too, but that's only been on 7 months so I'll reserve judgement on the long-term reliability.

Numbers like 10, 15, 20 years lifespan are being banded about for many LED units, but of course they haven't been around long enough to see whether this will actually be the case.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby danielpalfrey » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:58 pm

thanks for the input rockfish. Looking at the prices to get a full set up 'I'll be paying £80+ bare the cfl set up but the bulbs are £30 each... whereas the Leds (assuming I had a bad build) would be cheaper in the long run.... this is a tuff one
danielpalfrey

Postby danielpalfrey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 am

I have just read a guide online that claim you can do this (height*2)+width+depth Lumens/previous...
The claim here is that you want 250 for a decent planted tank, doing this though I only get 21.... Anyone heard of this before?
danielpalfrey

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums