What fish for what tank?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Re: What fish for what tank?

Postby geegee4 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 am

I have a 36" Tank (135 Litres) With the intension of getting a 400-500 Litre tank by the end of the year. At the moment I have 2 young Silver Sharks, 4 young Clown Loaches, 2 young Angels, 4 Blue Rams, 4 baby Sucking Catfish, 4 Cory Catfish & 2 Blue Gouramis. Tomorrow I am going to get some Cardinals. How many should I get,thinking of 20 or should I just get 10 ?
geegee4

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 am

I would not get any more fish until you had the bigger tank set up.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby 108scottb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Iv got 3 zebra loach and 1 yoyo loach in a juwel 180 which 39inches long,i read on the fish index that zebras grow to bout 2 to 3 inches and yoyos about 4, i thought that my tank would have been ok for them,was actually hoping to get 2 more yoyos as it was the only one left in the shop
juwel rio 240- community
juwel rio 180- community
nova 60ltr- community
marina 50ltr-community
definately no shrimps,frogs or snails! :)
108scottb

Postby Carylnz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 am

108scottb - Those loaches stay small and will be fine. The more the merrier with them as they like to be in groups. You might have trouble with the red tail shark as it grows and matures. Many find they are fine when young but then suddenly hit puberty and start attacking all the other fish in "their" territory. Since their territory can cover about 3ft, this means the whole tank. This is not a hard and fast rule though as there are also red tail sharks that grow large and remain peaceful. It is the luck of the draw (and possibly the sex of the fish).
You gibbiceps plec will grow too large and get to the point when every time it moves, it uproots plants and decor with its tail as it swings around. They can grow up to 50cm.

juwel rio 180

2 banded gouramis
2 firemouth
1 red tailed black shark
2 gold rams
2 3 spot gourami
3 swordtails
1 red gibbiceps plec
1 algae eater
3 zebra loach
1 pakistani loach
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby 108scottb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 am

The red tail shark always shows a bit of interest in any new fish iv put in,but is never really aggressive it just shows to up to them like a male swordtail does to a female then loses interest after about a day,i know now about my plec outgrowing the tank,unfortunately didnt when i bought it,with a bit of luck i'll get a bigger tank in the future,its still only bout 5 inches but i know they are quite quick growers
juwel rio 240- community
juwel rio 180- community
nova 60ltr- community
marina 50ltr-community
definately no shrimps,frogs or snails! :)
108scottb

Previous

Return to Freshwater Discussion