ALBINO'S OR NORMAL?

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

ALBINO'S OR NORMAL?

Postby cobden28 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I have 3 Sterbai cory's in my 4 ft tanl and am planning on buying another 3 this weekend, as i think thye'd be happier in a larger group. The three I have are the normal colour fish but my local fish shop only has albino Sterbai cory's in stock.

What I want to know is whether if I bought three albino's, they'd settle into my existing group of three fish. Would they be accepted by my existing trio as being of the same species, or not? The fish shop is due a delivery today and there's supposed to be Sterbai cories amongs the delivery, so should I wait till the weekend and see if they have the normal colour variety which is what i really want, or would three albino's be OK?

Everything I've read about corydoras catfish says they should have sand as the tank substrate, but when I bought my complete tank setup a year ago it came with medium-sized gravel. I've now got the planting nicely established and my fish seem happy with the set-up, including the cories....is there anything else I should be aware of?
cobden28

Re: ALBINO'S OR NORMAL?

Postby Carylnz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:45 am

If they are what you want, I would wait for the normal sterbais to turn up.
They do not need sand at all. Gravel is fine.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: ALBINO'S OR NORMAL?

Postby cobden28 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Can anyone offer an explanation of why my local fish shop just can't get the ordinary Sterbai corydoras - I went along there earlier this afternoon and was told that last Wednesday for the fourth week in a row they'd ordered the ordinary Sterbai cories and for the fourth week running they'd not received any. When I was in the store last week they had plenty of albino Sterbai, but I've decided I want the ordinary ones after all.

Is this time of year not the breeding season for cories, or are the Sterbai difficult to breed for some reason?

I can get bronze and peppered cories at any local fish shop but for some reason the Sterbai just don't seem to be commonly availabl;e down on the south coast. The other fish I want to complete my tank setup, black neons, are readily available everywhere around here and I'm hoping to be able to buy all the fish I want at the same time and from the same shop.
cobden28

Return to Catfish