going away for 6 nights

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

going away for 6 nights

Postby jennifer o » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:32 pm

okay so im going away in august for 6 nights and im stressing out about my fish

ive been advised that my fish will be fine however i dont want them to get sick form being stressed by no food.

I do feed them once a day so i think 6 nights with no food will be a major shock

any advice on what i can so to make sure they will be okay?

ive bougt an automatic feeder so going to test run it, however im worried about fish jumping out arghh

please help
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Re: going away for 6 nights

Postby Angel Fish » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:30 pm

They should be fine.
At the moment, my fish are being fed on a Sunday - and that's it. I do this for a couple of months during the summer every year and have never lost a fish.
My tanks are always crystal clear too.

Rather than testing the automatic feeder, try leaving them for a week without food while you're still at home - that way you'll know if there's going to be a problem (just ask someone to hide the food so you're not tempted to pop a pinch in) :wink:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby jennifer o » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 pm

it so scary though lol left them 4 days before but never 6

my poor chinese algae eater will be devastated at no cucumber for 6 days lol

i will try and not feed them ;)
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

still learning
jennifer o

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:32 am

Fish lie. They claim they are starving when they aren't. Ignore them.
Why don't you do a 4 day fast with them one week then a longer one the next? Just to assure yourself they are fine. Of course, you need to stay away from the tank at this time or they will go berserk whenever they see you and you will feel bad and give in!
We will be away for 10 days later in the year and I do not plan to have my fish fed over that time.
In a well matured tank that is heavily planted (preferably) and not heavily stocked, they will be fine. Fry might struggle though - or get eaten.
I am sure some auto feeders are fine but I have heard of them clogging.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jennifer o » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 pm

i have a few fry so i think im going to try the auto feeder. gonna run it for a week from tonight see how it goes.. cant shut my tank lid with the feeder on so im gonna have to tape some plastic sheeting over the lid and side of tank so the water dosent evaporate too much and they dont jump out haha

hope all goes to plan

still learning
jennifer o

Postby satu55555 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:51 am

Hi,

When I go on holidays, I put an automatic feeder to feed them at their usual feeding times. I test and test and test again that the feeder will work and make sure that the batteries are brand new. On top of that I get a friend to go and visit them every two days to make sure the feeders has worked and the fish seem ok. This is what I consider the least I should do for my fish when I go away. They shouldn't have to suffer or not eat because I go away nor should their daily schedule change because of that. This is what I would recommend. The fact that you're feeling stressed about it tells that you feel responsible for the fish and care about them so I would recommend to do the most you can to make sure their daily life doesn't change, apart from not seeing you during the days you're away.

Hope things go well.
140L tank with
4 Danios: Marge, Lorna, Marco, Emilia & Daisy
4 Corydoras: Hilda, Lulu, Huga & Helga
2 Dwarf Otos: Sam, Bob & Deb
satu55555

Postby jennifer o » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 pm

hey thanks for that

ive just finished trialing automatic feeders and all seems okay :) only problem was my chinese algae eater and plecs were moody as they werent getting their usual cucumber so they started pulling my live plants out of the gravel lol

still learning
jennifer o

Postby jakeg398 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 am

im going away in a week for 3 weeks and iv moved my tank setup and fish to my mates house and hes going to feed and look after them while im away
:)
jakeg398

Postby jennifer o » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:58 pm

wish i could do that, my tanks to big though lol

still learning
jennifer o

Postby Lovemyfish16 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:39 pm

It's my first time on here so not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm going away for 3 nights to max a week. I've got an automatic feeder when I've used it before I've come home and the fish colours are a bit dull l, but soon to back to normal. I've got a 70liter fish tank. They've been all right when I've got home. Was just wondering I should use a holiday block or not give them any good. Can they survive on a block of cucumber for a few days wanting some advise.
Lovemyfish16

Postby cousin it » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:55 pm

When I go away my fish are left to fend for themselves for up to a week, when I came home I usually find a cleaner tank, so long as your fish are healthy there should not be a problem.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby satu55555 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 am

I would never leave my fish without any supervision for more than a couple of days and this is only when I know everyone is fine. Even during those times they have an automated feeder and automated lighting. Fish are animals just like any other animals and the owner needs to be responsible. My holiday is not to compromise their well being. If a fish gets sick while away, the treatment needs to be done immediately. In a couple of days the fish could be dead. Or the fish needs to be put down and would suffer if no one is supervising. I have now a holiday coming up in a month for a week and I have already organized for someone to care for my fish.
140L tank with
satu55555

Postby Rockfish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Leaving fish for a week or two doesn't normally cause any problems if they are settled and healthy. Of course, it's never wise to buy new fish if you are planning to be away any time in the next month or so, as new tanks or new additions are nearly always where problems arise.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 am

I am going to be away for 10 days. Although I have left my fish for a week, on several occasions with no problems, I think 10 days is too long so I will make up a small pack of food and ask the neighbour to drop it into the tank on day 5. I will also put away all other food so she won't be tempted to feed them more.
I do not trust auto feeders as have heard of too many going wrong.
Fish will be fine for a week and be very happy to see you home again :wink:
PS. This all assumes it is a well established tank with plenty of plants, low - medium stocking and no fry.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby satu55555 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:41 am

I had first a fish feeder that was not the most reliable. It had one big container for food. I then bought one that a little slot for each meal that you can decide the size of and it drops only that meal into the tank at the chosen time. It has worked wonderfully for us.
140L tank with
satu55555

Return to Help!