new larger tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

new larger tank

Postby caroline » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:01 pm

I've just bought for my daughter today a new lager tank because she wants to get some more fish. she did have a 23l now she has a 54l.
Am i correct in thinking that if we use the same water ( topped up with tap and tapsafe) and the same filter , we do not have to wait for the water to cycle .
Is it better to run both filters at the same time, if so for how long? Or I read on one post , we could put the filter media in a piece of stocking and just float it in the tank , giving it a squeeze every couple of days? which way is better?

When shes done with her old tank I want to use it as a quarantine tank. how should I set this up?
caroline

Re: new larger tank

Postby caroline » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 pm

What would be a recomend as a selection for a community for this new tank(54l) she already has 4 cloud minnows, and 6 danios? she would like to include some corys.
caroline

Postby ady » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:24 pm

you can get some pygmi cory's,that would suit it nicely.they do like a group tho.....at least 3 for company...but not entirely sure on recommended group size....

personally i would run both filter together for a couple of weeks...also i would give the old media a squeeze into a bowl,containing tank water.then put the new filter media in it to soak for a few mins...put this into ya new filter nicely seeded.pour the bowl water into the tank,so not to waste any bacteria. do it thru ya net to limit the crud going in ya tank.

this means no new cycle to go thru..... 8) ..you can do the tights/media trick also....many ways to go.but it does the same..maintains the bacteria levels to keep water quality up.

if setting up any tank in the future,including ya quarantine,use the methods described...but keep a close eye on the water quality in the inital stages..if you keep ya quarantine tank constantly running without fish you will need to provide some "food" for the bacteria,without any source of ammonia they will die..a pinch crushed flake can be used.

hopefully someone who has a full time quarantine tank can advise you more specifically.. :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby caroline » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks for the prompt answer ,we can go ahead and get this sorted tonight. The info you gave was very useful.Thanks again.
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Most do not keep a Q tank running all the time. What I do is have a spare filter running in the main tank. If a Q is necessary, I use water from the main tank and top up with fresh, add a heater (I already know is set to the correct temp) and haul the spare filter out of the main tank and voila!
Once you have finished with the Q, empty the water out (pot plants, and garden plants, love tank water by the way) and sterilise the filter. A good soak in a mild bleach solution or salt is good, rinse well.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks Carylnz, Thats what I'll do then.

My daughters new tank is all set up and the fish are settling in, how long before she can add new fish?
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am

If you are using both the old and new filters plus old fish, check the ammonia and nitrites. If these are 0 then add a few more fish.
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:53 pm

My daughter is thinking about getting a dwarf neon gourami, she has heard you should keep only one on its own or one male with several females , would keeping one male on its own be ok?
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Yes :mrgreen:
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:18 pm

How about a bristle nose plec?
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 am

yes
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Thankyou , she will be very pleased.

On the subject of larger tanks , my husband and I have been thinking about getting a larger tank . Currently we have a L48" x H15"x xW13" and contains 1 guppie, 1plec(5"),1 chinese algee eater (6"),2 cherry Barb, 2 Mollys, 4 Platys ,4 Panda Corys,5 sissortails and 9 tetras and 3 baby Platys + 2 new baby platies!
We would like to get a few more fish but feel our current tank is full enough, and we dont think the CAE has enough room.
Our unit could take a tank L52" x D18" x H anything up to 24" , I cant find one this size to buy so am looking at having one made, We are in the portsmouth area so does any one know any local companies that will do this? also lighting , not being a standard size tank we would have to use over head lighting, any advice?
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Any glazier ought to be able to make a tank to the size you want (make sure they know how to make aquariums first!). I have never bought a tank from a lfs, mine have all come from a glazier (glass merchant).
Lighting can be built into a lid or, if you just have a glass lid, you could sit fluorescents in their reflector, on top of the glass. It will not matter if they are not the full tank width.
Marine keepers hang their lights on chains above the tanks (as metal halide lights give off a lot of heat so much be raised up above the tank) but the same principle applies to tropical if you want to hang your lights then do so.
Carylnz

Return to Beginners