urgent help needed.

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

urgent help needed.

Postby hannibal1987 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Two weeks ago I added 4 cory's and a bristlenose cat fish to go with my 6 tettras. the tank had been ruuning a fishless cycle for 6 weeks and has been running with just the tettras for another 6 weeks before I added the new fish. 1 three-lined cory died after two days, one of my glowlights died after about 5 days, the britlenose died 2 days ago and now my bronze cory is about to to go. I established that it was the no2 levels that were too high after the first fish died. I performed a 30% water change after the three-lined cory died and a 20% water change everday until the no2 returned to 0. I went one day without changing and the bristlenose died, I performed another 30% change at this point and have performed a 20% change for the last 2 days. If I go one day without performing a change, the no2 levels shoot up and I lose a fish. at first I thought I was overfeeding them, but ive been very carfeful the last few days. it's getting very frustrating now. I've read around on here and 'old tank syndrome' sounds similar to my problem, but if this is the case, how am I ever going to be able to add new fish? I may just get 15 more tettras as they seem happy enough, I just want a bit of variety thats all. any help and advice from some experts on here would be very helpful.
hannibal1987

Re: urgent help needed.

Postby hannibal1987 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:33 pm

bronze has just been pronounced! I was just thinking, is this happening because I added 5 at once? or maybe, is the filter that came with the tank not efficient enough, it's a marina slimline s20 (the tank is 95 litres).
hannibal1987

Postby Carylnz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:12 am

I suspect the filter is not doing the job as it is for up to 75L and you say your tank is 95L. Try increasing the filtration as you should have been able to add 5 small corys without this trouble and so many water changes.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby hannibal1987 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:45 am

Thankyou, I had been looking into getting a better filter anyway, one that was silent, was just waiting for funds. What would you recommend? I was looking at a fluval external canister filter, I remember someone telling me the 106 would not be efficient enough and I would need to get the 206, is this accurate? or can you recommend a better filter, Thankyou again.
hannibal1987

Postby SparkyST » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:22 pm

hannibal1987 wrote:Thankyou, I had been looking into getting a better filter anyway, one that was silent, was just waiting for funds. What would you recommend? I was looking at a fluval external canister filter, I remember someone telling me the 106 would not be efficient enough and I would need to get the 206, is this accurate? or can you recommend a better filter, Thankyou again.

I have just bought a fluval 206 for my 80 litre tank. If you have the space for it then its brilliant, very quiet (cant even hear it running) and the water is now crystal clear.
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Always get bigger than you think you need. The rates for filters are for them running empty. You need to allow for buildup in the media boxes, sponges and pipes.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby hannibal1987 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 pm

New filter installed, working fine. I decided to try to some nutrafin cycle, I know some people say its better to build up the bacteria naturally, which is what I did with the fishless cycle (I would imagine I did something wrong), but after 3 days, the colours on the fish are incredibly bright and they're flying around the tank, seem so much happier. ammonia & nitrite = 0, or as near to as I can tell, is it just me or are these test kits quite hard to read?. One question though; I performed the 3 day cycle: day 1 25ml per 40l, days 2 & 3 10ml per 40l. I have to add 10ml per 40l at every water change, When I perform a water change do I add enough for the full 95l or simply add the product into new water? Thankyou.
hannibal1987

Return to Beginners