Freshwater crabs.

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Freshwater crabs.

Postby Carolann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Saw some of these the other week, so came home and read up what I could find about them, seems biggest problem it keeping tank lid secure.
So decided to get 2 yesterday. I have made a platform for them to come out of the water on, used a clear lid from a take away made 2 holes in edge and using some plastic coated wire secured it under lid. also bought some plastic floating plant for surface as we have a few preggy fish.

Crabs have made home in my bog wood root as it is hollow, put them piece of salmon weight for them to eat.
If worst happens and 1 gets out no doubt I will find it hanging from one of my cats noses. :D
Carolann

Re: Freshwater crabs.

Postby Carylnz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 am

Looking forward to pics!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Carolann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Would do if I could. :lol: :lol: :lol: Plus they are hiding in the hollow bog wood.
Carolann

Postby Carolann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Came home today looked in tank Shock thought 1 of crabs had croaked fished it out but it looked funny, feeling a bit peeved I flushed it and muttered about only getting it about 10 days ago.
Just realised why it looked funny both crabs are still ok 1 of them had cast its shell, Duh thick moment. :innocent: :innocent:
I shall wait to be reprimanded by Carlynz. :lol: :lol:
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 am

Hard to reprimand someone when you are :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Hampalong » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 am

You do realise these crabs will eat your fish? They are also not really aquatic. They feed in water but they live on land. They're totally unsuitable for fish tanks, and really need a vivarium.
Hampalong

Postby Carolann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Hampalong wrote:You do realise these crabs will eat your fish? They are also not really aquatic. They feed in water but they live on land. They're totally unsuitable for fish tanks, and really need a vivarium.

Hi I have made rafts on the surface of the tank so they can either go in or out of water, so far 1 spends about 50/50 in and out of water but the other 1 spends more time submerged ,but as I said it could go on dry area if it wanted would say it spend about 70% of time in water, I usually put bit of salmon for them on the rafts.
So far they have left the other tank fish alone, it was like when I got the Angelfish, I ran the risk and so far fingers crossed it doesn't know its an angelfish , it has never done any harm. But thanks for your input it is appreciated. :)
Carolann

Postby Dazzer87 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 am

I used to have a little red crab in my tank. had an Easter island head he used to sit on. pretty slow tbh, used to keep him with a bristlenose and some small tetra. He used to sit next to the bristlenose he wasn't at all bothered by the crab, he would just turn around occasionally and the crab would run a mile. The crab was also hopeless at catching tetra, to the point tetra was stealing his food and the crab would rarely bother.
Dazzer87

Return to Freshwater Discussion