Fish suggestions.

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Fish suggestions.

Postby jzaine » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 am

Last week I decided to rehome my Oscar to a 75 gallon tank. He became very lethargic over the past month and didn't seem happy. From what I've been told he's very active and happy in his new home. After doing a 30% water change and monitoring my water parameters I started restocking the tank over the weekend. So far I have 5 German blue rams, 12 rosy tetras, and a bristle nose plec. The fish seem to have settled in nicely. They're all very active and are eating well. All of the fish seem to stay in the mid section of the tank (with the exception of the plec of course). I'm looking to add another fish within the next two weeks but I'm looking for a top dweller to fill the empty space. Does anybody have any suggestions?
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Re: Fish suggestions.

Postby jzaine » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:52 am

The tank is 55 US gallons.
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:05 am

That's 208L for the rest of the more modern world :wink:
Danios, hatchets, gouramis, golden killies, guppies, penguin tetras, Forktail rainbows (Pseudomugil furcatus), Spotted blue-eye rainbow (Pseudomugil gertrudae), butterflyfish (although probably too predatory).
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jzaine » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 am

Cheers, Caryl!
I was recommended to avoid gouramis due to their aggressive nature but I'll take the advice of someone with your experience over most. Still, a gourami won't be my first choice. The only rainbow I saw at the shop were Boesemani Rainbows but I didn't look all that hard for rainbows. I'll take another look next time I go. Thanks again.
jzaine

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 am

Depends on which gourami you choose. The pearls and orange are lovely. Avoid the blues and 3 spot as they are not.
Fish aggression can vary depending on the size of the tank and the tank mates. Given enough space, many territorial fish coexists happily with others.
There is a large selection in the rainbow family and all shapes, colours and sizes. Not sure what you can get in the USA though
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jzaine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:27 am

I know for a fact that I saw pearl gouramis last time I was there. They had blue gouramis in a quarantine tank for treatment of ick. I would prefer the rainbows but all I saw were Boesemani. Thanks again, Caryl.
jzaine

Return to Freshwater Discussion