Breeding bristlies.

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

Breeding bristlies.

Postby cobden28 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 pm

I have a 4 ft tropical community tank with, amongst others, a pair of bristlenose catfish; the female is the normal colouration but the male is an albino with a fine set of bristles on him. Recently I'd noticed some odd (to me) behavior by the male in that he was excavating lots of hidey-holes in different parts on the tank, the female seemed to have become rather plump in the belly region, and the pair of them seemed to be spending rather a lot of time together in one particular hidey-hole :o .

last night I'd stayed up till 1 am but checked the tank before switching the light off, as is my normal practice, and was overjoyed to see both bristlies inside a 3" clay plant pot - complete with a clutch of eggs! They'd spawned, some time between teatime and midnight/one a.m; is this the normal time of day for bristlies to spawn?

Currently the male is sitting on top of the clutch of eggs, gently fanning the water over the eggs and not letting anyone else in the tank get too close. As this is the first time I've had these fish spawn, I have a few questions:-

How long before the eggs will hatch?
Is it likely I'll be able to raise any of them to adult size? Unfortunately I don't have a spare tank to dedicate to fry raising so any that do hatch will have to take their chances in the community tank.
As Dad is an albino, what's the likelihood of any of the fry turnibng out to be albino - or will they all be normal colouration like Mum?

Can anyone point me in the direction of suitable reading matter concerning the breeding and raising of bristlenose catfish? Thanks in advance.
cobden28

Re: Breeding bristlies.

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 am

How long before the eggs will hatch?
About 5 - 10 days

Is it likely I'll be able to raise any of them to adult size?
Yes. They are pretty good at escaping predatory fish.

As Dad is an albino, what's the likelihood of any of the fry turnibng out to be albino - or will they all be normal colouration like Mum?
A lot depends on previous generations. There should be a mix.

Can anyone point me in the direction of suitable reading matter concerning the breeding and raising of bristlenose catfish? Thanks in advance.
Just use Google. There are plenty of sites detailing how it is done. I never did anything for mine. They just reproduced in the main tank when they felt like it. A few survived each batch. I never bothered with fry food as they were happy to zip about eating fine algae on driftwood and nibbling bottomfeeder pellets.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Baby bristlies hatched and doing fine - Dad is being a very protective parent, and won't even allow Mum anywhere near his babies :D .

The yolk sacs are almost totally absorbed and on the rare occasions when Dad leaves the plantpot, the little wrigglers can be seen quite clearly gathered together at the rear of the plantpot. Don't think any are albino's like Dad, though.

When are the wrigglers likely to be free-swimming?
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:34 am

They get out and about once the sac has been absorbed - about 3 days
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:34 pm

I've now got baby bristlies everywhere ! :D

Another bristlie query; the male is behaving rather oddly in that he's gone back into the plantpot and appears to be using his fins to fan water over/around something, but I can't see what due to the angle. Is it likely the adult bristlies will have spawned again? Nothing had happened in the tank as of this morning but Dad's behaviour is definitely puzzling! :mrgreen:
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 am

It is quite possible he has another lot of eggs to look after. These things seem to do nothing for ages then breed non-stop for several months, then stop again - all for no apparent reason that I have been able to work out.
He may also have more than 1 female on the go :wink:
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:00 pm

I still can't see inside the plant pot but I'm sure from his behaviour the male bristlie is in egg-guarding mode :) . There's only one adult pair of bristlies in the tank so no doubt as to who Mum is :) .
cobden28

Postby cobden28 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:26 pm

I was definitely a second batch of eggs! I now have two broods of rapidly growing bristlies and have had to remove the plantpot spawning cave otherwise I think I'd be over-run with them :D

When I move house later on this year/early next year, Mum and Dad will have to go in separate tanks!

In the meantime, does anyone want any bristlies? :rofl:
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:07 am

I have found they will breed nonstop for a while then suddenly stop - no apparent reason. They may stop for weeks, months, or years, then suddenly start breeding again like mad!
They are gorgeous wee things with their flag like tails wagging as they zip about. One of my favourites.
Carylnz

Return to Catfish