Algae Types & Cures

A forum for plants and all aspects of planted aquariums.

Postby Carylnz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:11 am

I assure you, the fish don't care. I have done it and the fish were fine. They probably just think the night is lasting longer than usual :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby keatingschick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Hair algae is usually found on the plant leaves and decor. It comes in long strands at least 3" long, and in a variety of colours. Again this is an easily treatable algae which will disappear when correct levels are maintained in the tank.

Causes -

A) If its green - High iron. This can be because of - Water source has high iron content, out of balance fertilising, nutrient tab in the substrate leaching into the water column (poking through)
B) If its black - Low co2 levels

Solutions -

1) Increase co2 levels
2) Check fertilisers for high iron content
3) Adjust fertilisation
4) Dose flourish excel

Either by adjusting the CO2 levels or reducing the iron in the tank will get rid of this algae pretty quickly.

I've noticed an algae problem over the last day or so and it most resembles this. Its on the side of the tank, on the large pebbles and rock and down the side of the filter and its quite bright green. It looks like sort of cotton wooly/fluff/hairy kind of stuff.

I dont add any fertilisers so its not that, it COULD be cos of my tap water? (I'd been using warm tap water to warm up the water when doing water changes rather than cooled boiled kettle water).

Do you think it is this? Will it harm my fish? And if it IS this - How do I adjust CO2 levels?
keatingschick

Postby keatingschick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 pm

p.s. one thing I did wonder was, its only occurred this last few days and I've bought new plants and found I needed to keep the lights on longer for the plants, so the lights have been on for about 8 hours a day, the plants are alot better than before but just wondering if this is the reason for this sudden burst of this algae?
Thanks
keatingschick

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:10 pm

It could be a combination of both the plants being added and more light. The tank has to 'rebalance' itself. The algae spores may also have been on the plants you bought.
If you are lucky, the plants will grow quickly and out compete the algae.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby keatingschick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Carylnz wrote:It could be a combination of both the plants being added and more light. The tank has to 'rebalance' itself. The algae spores may also have been on the plants you bought.
If you are lucky, the plants will grow quickly and out compete the algae.

I've been to the petshop today and spoke to the woman who mainly works in the aquarium part and I bought some hair algae treatment. But also (and I dont know if I'll get shouted now for this) tonight my hubby and I have taken a little water out of the tank, and washed the rocks and the filter in this water and just got the algae off it. Just the bits where it was really really covering it. Not washed them in clean water or anything, just in the tank water. Hope thats ok :oops:

Thing is the tank looks awful. My sons tank the chi, we've had so many problems with it with regard to the ammonia, but the tank is crystal clear, its never gone murky (apart from when it first clouds when you start it up - cycling). It has plastic plants in, and I've been wondering if I should get rid of these real plants I just thought they were better for the fish. The 2 new plants I bought have really flourished. I bought 4 initially and 2 smaller ones are ok, but the longer ones for the back really spoiled quite quick, but when I bought new ones I read that they needed more light and they have bloomed - but so has the algae!!!
Thanks for reply
Last edited by keatingschick on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keatingschick

Postby m_attt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 pm

the plants will grow quickly and out compete the algae.

this is untrue, even fast growing or established aquariums get algae outbrakes. its normally co2/flow or lighting that causes it
m_attt

Postby Angel Fish » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:56 pm

You missed off the beginning of the sentence
If you are lucky
There are several types of algae that will disappear when the tank is heavily planted :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Re: Algae Types & Cures

Postby meandmyangels » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:12 am

Hi: My name is Colette. I have read your entire article on algae types and cures. It is full of fantastic information. I have a 90gal. planted tropical tank chocked full of small fish. Removing all the fish is impossible. All the plants in my tank are covered in green and some have long brown algae. I have just put in three capfulls of Excell, and have completely covered the tank with a black sheet, I have also unpluged my CO2 equipment as any extra amount in the dark kills my fish, I found this out the hard way. I have also added a pouch of Algone to my water return in the tank. I'm worried about the 3 day blackout, although this makes complete sense. Would this not increase the natural CO2 in the water to dangerous levels for my animals? I'm really desperate to find a cure for this algae problem. My plants are so covered in this green algae that they have stopped growing. Am I doing the right thing? Is there anything else I can do. Will my fish be safe in the dark for that long? I have blue LED lights that I keep on low at night until I go to bed. Then I turn all the lights off. Should I leave a couple of LEDs on for the 3 days? Any help is greatly appreciated. Regards, Colette
meandmyangels

Postby san-ho-zay » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 am

Hello Colette,

If you are going to try a blackout, it needs to be a complete blackout for three days. No CO2, no feeding, no peeking. No light at all. You should prepare for it with a 50% water change, removing any algae that you can. Ensure the water surface is churned by the filter outlet during the blackout and complete with a 50% water change at the end. If you haven't been doing large water changes, you need to build up to these slowly, e.g. 10%, then 20% the next day, 30% the next day ...

The algae will just come back unless you correct the conditions that led to it in the first place. These are often the areas to look at:

1. Light; level in watts and duration in hours?
2. Stock levels, i.e. how many fish?
3. Tank maintenance; what do you do and how often?
4. CO2 level and distribution; how do you run your CO2?
5. Nutrient levels; what plant foods do you add?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby agriffith » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:47 am

This article was so helpfull. I like that it was easy to read and not a bunch of stuff that you dont need to know. Its my go too for alge problems. I have black beard alge that is covering my plants. I just got Flourish excel yesterday and a text kit for PO3. The kit read 10.0 ppm so it was really high. I up my co2 and have dosed my tank 2 times so I hope the PO3 goes down soon. Thanks for the great article.
agriffith

Postby agriffith » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 am

I just started treating my tank for black beard alge and I was wondering if I should put my old uv sterilizer back in my tank I am not sure if it would help or not.
agriffith

Postby cousin it » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:07 pm

hi
a uv steriliser will not help with black beard algae, upping co2 levels and manually removing what you can is your best option.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Previous

Return to Plants and Planted Aquariums