Dwarf Gourami - Nest Building?!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Dwarf Gourami - Nest Building?!

Postby k1rr1e » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:07 pm

I currently have a 25 litre planted tank containing three Dwarf Gourami's (one male and two females), two Sterbai Corry's and two Oto's.

For the last few days, the male Gourami has been gathering mouthfuls of grass and placing them on the underside of a floating leaf of another plant, there is a single large air bubble under the leaf too, but no sign of a bubble nest. The male has also been 'harassing the two females almost non-stop, but he doesn't bother the other fish at all.

I presume he is nest building, but if one of the females does lay eggs, I don't currently have another tank to remove the females into.

Any suggestions please?
k1rr1e

Re: Dwarf Gourami - Nest Building?!

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

25L is very small for them if the male is getting in the mood. He could kill the females at this rate as they have nowhere to get away from his constant harassment. If the females have not been conditioned, or are not ready to breed, you will have major problems. The male will need to be removed.
If you break up his nest, does he then give up and leave the females alone? If not, you will need to remove the male.
This is assuming you don't want them to breed. If you do, you need to set up with the correct conditions so will need another tank anyway.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby k1rr1e » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Carlynz,

Thanks very much, you have confirmed what I thought.

I broke up and removed the nest last night and have also remove the plant under whose leaves he built the nest. Hopefully things will calm down.

I don't really want them to breed until I get my larger 104 litre tank set-up again, but I am waiting for builders - the joys!

Best regards,
Eric
k1rr1e

Postby k1rr1e » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 pm

It didn't work and the male continued to harass the two females, although he didn't attempt to build another nest.

I've moved him into a small 12l 'batchelor' tank on his own; how long should I leave him ether before I try to reintroduce him back into the community tank?
k1rr1e

Postby Carylnz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 am

Unfortunately I suspect he will have to stay in his bachelor pad as he will always want to breed with any females he comes into contact with.
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Can't he be neutered lol
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:55 am

Not that I know of 8)
Carylnz

Return to Help!