Guppy tail rotting and splitting!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Guppy tail rotting and splitting!

Postby Lloydpryth » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:38 pm

I added a few new guppies to my 25l tank a few days ago who joined 3 tetras and 1 guppy who were already in there. Most of the guppies have adapted well and are enjoying their new home, but a couple of my male guppies seem unwell mostly problems with their tail. One of the yellow male guppies with a huge tail has split his tail in the middle, he seems to be ok but I'm wondering if this is a problem and of I should do anything about it. My other male started developing holes in the end if his tail, i did think it was fin nipping but I've been keeping a close eye and no aggressive behaviour has taken place. As more damage appeared the tail started turning white, and by now it's almost fully white. I thought it could be tail rot, are the symptoms correct and if so what should i do two help the two fish? I have started using Melafix in the water using the correct amounts and following the instructions. Is this wise? Or is there something else I could do? Thanks for your help and time! :)
Lloydpryth

Re: Guppy tail rotting and splitting!

Postby Darryl1984 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 pm

My guppies have some splits in there tails but they make do and seem to be fine. Is there any sharp or rough decor they could caught them on.

The fading seems strange. Are there tails getting smaller ie bits falling off?
Darryl1984

Postby Lloydpryth » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

There Isn't much sharp objects in the tank, but thankfully the tail is starting to heal! :D The other fish's tail has completely gone now and the fish has sadly died :( I don't want this to happen again so I'm not sure what I could do to help, people have suggested water tests but it could've been fungal rotting not a disease? Thanks a lot :)
Lloydpryth

Postby Darryl1984 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:23 pm

Sorry to hear they died. Never a nice thing to see. I'd keep a close eye on the others incase it reappears. Fingers crossed it's done with and there's no more issues.
Darryl1984

Postby Lloydpryth » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Will keep a close eye! Hopefully the rest are fine (they seem to be) for now anyway :) Maybe I'll try testing the water if I can find out what caused it so I can prevent it from happening again ;) Thanks
Lloydpryth

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:54 am

Long tails split all the time and will heal themselves.
A lot of bullying can happen after lights out when you aren't looking.
What sort of tetras? Many are known to like guppy tails.
One guppy may have had fin rot. Do a search for symptoms and pics and see if it matches.
Keep water conditions as good as possible and fin rot should not be a problem.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Lloydpryth » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:26 am

There are Neon Tetras in the tank and are considerably smaller than the Guppies so I did'nt think they would do much harm at all! Thankd
Lloydpryth

Return to Help!