Some reassurance needed

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Some reassurance needed

Postby Darryl1984 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Hello all. I've recently got my new roma 125 up and running and for the first time I'm using sand as the base material. It's play sand from our local hardware store and I love how it looks in the tank. I rinsed it within an inch of its life before it was added to the tank.
The tanks been up and running for two weeks now and the pH is at 5 on my chart. I'm worried for my fish as I've lost 3 since swapping tanks. Two of which I half expected as they were algae eaters and I lost guppie yesterday. I tried my best to give the Chinese algae eaters some food as all the plants and decor from the tank they came from was added to the new tank so they had a bit of food to keep them going but they never ate and sadly died. My guppie just seemed to separate himself from the other two and we found him dead in the morning. All the other fish seem to be OK although the platies and guppies do seem to spend a lot of time at the surface.

The filter is a Fluval plus 3 and has been running from another tank before it was added. I worried about adding more fish incase I'm back at square one and the tanks cycling again. Ammonia levels have risen over the last few days so I'm water changing as much as i can.

Could it just be that I'm cycling again even although it's a mature filter and all the bits and places are from the other tank. Does sand lower the pH of the water.

Any advice is as always welcome.
Darryl1984

Re: Some reassurance needed

Postby Carylnz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:56 am

Whether sand alters the pH depends on the type of sand and I know nothing of what you have in the UK but understand play sand is often used with no problems.
I assume the pH was higher on the other tank? 5 is a little low.
I'm afraid I have never used sand myself so can't offer much help :(
If the ammonia has risen then it sounds like you might be experiencing a mini cycle at least. I would not be adding any more fish until the ammonia is back to 0.
I assume the sand has settled? Is the filter running correctly? If it was in there before the sand settled it may have got some in the impeller but I would have thought you would hear it if that was the case.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. The pH was bang on 7.5 in the old tank.
I let the sand settle for very a day before the filter was turned on. What was left cleared quickly once the filter sorted it out. I've been adding filter start too to help with and cycling it might be doing. I was watching them all closely this morning while they were feeding and the guppies which normally gobble everything uber fast were acting like they were interested in the food, I mean they came to the surface and looked like they were looking for the food but never ate any and what they hoovered into there mouth they soon spat out. I'm worried I'm going to find them dead when I get home.
Darryl1984

Postby SparkyST » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Was the filter not running for the time you left the tank to settle? It maybe some of the bacteria in the filter may have died and is doing a mini cycle if that is the case
SparkyST

Postby Darryl1984 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Not straight away as I thought the bigger sand particles would kill the filter.

I'm not adding any more fish until the tank settles. Don't know what to do about the low pH. The sand was bought from B&Q and it's definitely play sand.

Wish I knew what was going on.
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Well another Guppy bites the dust this morning. Wnt be long till the other follows as it's not eating. Gutted that the dead. Everything was fine till I swapped tanks.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 am

Was the tank rinsed out before it was filled? Perhaps there was something in/on it?
Test some of the sand in a separate container to see if it is altering thew pH. Do this over several days.
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:20 am

The tank was uber dirty when I get it so it was scrubbed and cleaned and rinsed like crazy before adding adding the final batch of water.

Done a 50% water change last night and still no difference in the pH. Water tests at 8 out the tap.

I will do that test over the next few days and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys.
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 pm

Still no change in pH. Was in my lfs today and got more plants. Oh man they had loads and loads of fish and it's so hard to say no due to my issue with low pH and the tank cycling lol. Spoke to them and they told me crushed coral would help but they never had any but they sold me crushed oyster shells. Any thoughts on weather this could work.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Should work. I know a lot of people use the grit you feed to chooks. I think because it is cheaper and can be bought in a supermarket (well over here it is :wink: ).
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:50 pm

PH upto 7.5 and seems to be staying there. Glad the tanks settling. Got another issue though. As the tank and is now settled I purchased some new fish. X2 blue ram which seem to be doing well and x2 clown loaches. My issue is with the loaches. For the last day or so they have been fighting with each other. It's like a dominance dance. I'm worried they will stress out the other fish and obviously really hurt each other. No obvious damage to either fish but there making a mess and it's horrible to watch then knocking lumps out each other. Should I be worried. There fine with all the other fish. Just each other.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Clown loaches prefer to be in larger groups (5 or more). The two you have may be having initial dominance issues which should settle quickly (hopefully) if they are the same size.
They are also prone to white spot quickly and sensitive to the cures so if they get it, dose at half strength.
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Yeh they are the same size. Comes down a bit today. Still a wee square go every now then.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
Darryl1984

Return to Beginners