red tailed black shark

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

red tailed black shark

Postby justlovindanios » Tue May 13, 2014 11:23 am

My other half decided he would be helpful and brought me home some fish the lfs had told him would be good in my tank so now im the not so happy owner of 3 red tailed black sharks which i know shouldnt be kept together and the place wont take them back even though they gave some bad advice as my man did only want to purchase one but was told they get on better in 3s !! :shock:

firstly they seem to be getting on and are very small am going to keep them till i can find 2 of them a home but they keep losing there colour could this be because they are not settled yet ? has only been a day I'm doing 40 percent water changes daily as I always do when adding new fish but also this is a newly cycled tank so want to keep the nitrite levels down .

Am I alright to continue what Im doing ? And anyone in the rotherham / sheffield area want to rehome a shark ? :D
juwel rio 125
fluval 405 ext
10 pentazona barb
red tail shark
justlovindanios

Re: red tailed black shark

Postby Carylnz » Wed May 14, 2014 12:57 am

Oh boy are you going to have problems if you can't rehome two of them!
They will not be happy either as a trio, or in a newly cycled tank. They prefer a more mature setup.
Keep doing what you are doing and rehome the two pale ones ASAP.
I suggest you no longer give that store your business! :angry:
The colour loss indicates they are not happy and/or are trying to make themselves less noticeable to the other shark, who will eventually kill the other two.
What size is the tank? (I can't remember and don't want to scroll through previous posts to find out :oops: ). Red tailed sharks need a 3ft minimum but preferably 4ft. They have a territorial range of about 3ft so the smaller the tank, the more trouble they will be.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby justlovindanios » Wed May 14, 2014 10:27 pm

I knew it ! told other half to keep his beak out in future when it concerns my new tank have found a home for one of the sharks all however have regained there color tank is 2ft but with plans on getting a 4ft set up over the next few months but with what your saying I may just re-home all 3 as i wouldn't want them to be unhappy they seem a lot better now I've added a large piece of wood and a few plants :)
juwel rio 125
fluval 405 ext
10 pentazona barb
red tail shark
justlovindanios

Postby Carylnz » Thu May 15, 2014 1:35 am

It helps if you can break up their line of sight with plants or driftwood. This gives them a sense of security and sometimes it helps to keep them in their own "areas".
These fish are nothing but trouble as they grow (in my opinion).
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby justlovindanios » Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 pm

So it seems 2 of them swimming round together like a pack and one just keeps to himself but I've noticed they even bully my barbs its a shame as they are so pretty !! Taking them to lfs who under duress have agreed to take them back in exchange for 5 more barb (ruby) on saturday . Also on a brighter note ive found a super red bristlie breeder near me who will have some ready in 6 weeks time cant wait so excited :D
juwel rio 125
fluval 405 ext
10 pentazona barb
red tail shark
justlovindanios

Return to Freshwater Discussion