Gasping Albino Corys :(

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Gasping Albino Corys :(

Postby Plug » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Please can anyone help?? :(

I have a large planted 1mtr tank (3ft) with:

5 albino corys - lost one today :(
6 rummy nose tetra
3 cardinals
4 white cloud minnows
1 amano shrimp
Loads of cherry shrimp & lots of snails

My problem is that 2 of my younger corys are constantly at the top gasping for air.
I have an air stone & my filter out pipe is pointed up towards the waters surface.
This is the 3rd cory I've lost like this.
They've been ok for ages, but past few weeks they've been like this ( but not all of them ).

Please help
Plug

Re: Gasping Albino Corys :(

Postby Rockfish » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi,

It would be surprising if the oxygen level was low with an airstone and circulation from the filter, but are you adding CO2 for the plants?
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Plug » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:13 pm

No I'm not adding co2. Didn't realise I had to ( still learning ) :(
I don't want to lose anymore, I've reared them from eggs & they're really funny fish to watch!!
what does it do & would it harm my shrimps etc ? And where would I get it ?
Thanks for your advise
Plug

Postby Rockfish » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi,

No, you don't have to add CO2 for the plants - it can boost growth but it's possible to grow plants without it. The reason I asked about the CO2 is because excess CO2 can cause fish to gasp at the surface.

Your tank doesn't look heavily stocked, so hopefully water quality isn't an issue, but have you had it tested at all or tested it yourself?

I'm assuming from what you said that you've had the cory's for a while? Are any of the other fish new?
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Plug » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 am

I did a test last week & the ammonia was fine, nitrate was highish, nitrite ok,
Gh high, ph ok. I did a water change, which I do about once a week & trim my plants back as they grow quite fast!!
My other fish have been in there longer than my corys!!
I've had my corys for about 18 months & my younger ones are almost a year old.
The one that died the other day was an adult & was up at the top constantly & sometimes tried to jump
out. He then couldn't swim properly & ended up on his back.
This is so confusing because my other fish are fine.
I was thinking of adding a few new little fish to my community but obviously I don't want to until I find out what's
wrong with my corys.
About a month ago I lost some of my cherry shrimp over a period of 3 weeks ( about 4 died ) they were all large adults & just had babies, but all my other cherrys are fine & got lots of babies ect
Not sure if that's anything to do with what's wrong with corys.
Plug

Postby Rockfish » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:27 pm

You didn't mention actual numbers, but ammonia and nitrite should always be essentially zero, any detectable level could cause issues. High nitrates can cause problems over the longer term, but I wouldn't expect levels up to 50 ppm to cause any short term problems.

As you've had all the fish a while, something like gill flukes causing the gasping is probably unlikely. Bacterial infection might be possible. I wonder if the cories might have scavenged from the dead shrimp and picked something up? If it was just the one adult cory then you could put it down to an isolated mystery death which could have dozens of causes, but losing three over a few weeks could indicate a creeping problem. If it's not water quality then a slow-acting bacterial issue could be a possibility.

In the absence of any obvious cause, it's probably a choice between just maintaining good water quality and riding it out and hoping the deaths stop and the remaining fish are resistant, or trying a general anti-bacterial medication. It's not always ideal to use a medication without a specific problem to treat, but sometimes it can stop further deaths.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Plug » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:41 am

Ok thanks for your advise.
I'm going to give my tank a good overhaul & hope if it's water quality that should sort it!!
But if not I'm gonna have to separate them into another tank to treat them with something,
but hope it doesn't come to that :(

Thanks again & wish me luck :?
Plug

Return to Beginners