Help: RCS trouble

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Help: RCS trouble

Postby andym127 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am having some trouble with my Red Cherry Shrimp in my new Fluval Spec V. They are slowing but steadily all dyeing off.

Their tank mates all seem to be fine, they are 2 Otos and 5 amano shrimps, they have been in the tank since cycling completed about 6 weeks ago and have had no issues.

4 weeks ago I added some 15 RCS and initially seemed ok, but I have noticed that over time they are dying off, I now only have 4 or 5 left. BTW I have other tanks with RCS that are thriving.

Water parameters are Amm. 0, Nitrite 0. Now for hardness using the API tests I have KH too low to measure, GH too high to measure i.e over 12 drops. (out of the tap KH=10, GH over 12.) Temperature 26C. Ph 6.8.

Substrate is Columbo Florabase which I expect is what playing with the hardness. 30% water change weekly. Feeding fish flake and Hakari shrimp cuisine daily.

Can't understand what the problem is just with the RCS. This is a low light planted tank with just Java fern and Anubias.

I am also dosing TNC complete weekly according to instructions (I have checked with manufacturer regarding copper levels - apparently should be fine)

I'm a bit stumped as to what the problem might be, does anyone have any ideas, thanks.
andym127

Re: Help: RCS trouble

Postby Rockfish » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi,

It seems odd that your KH should drop so much from your tap water levels, even with a substrate that might be binding some. I wonder if the imbalance between the GH and KH is causing issues with the moulting process. Amano shrimp tend to be a bit tougher, so might be less affected. Everything else you're doing sounds ok.

Are you seeing any particular symptoms with the shrimp? Sometimes their normally semi-transparent parts get a solid opaque look to them if they are suffering from bacterial infection.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby andym127 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:45 am

Well they all look fine, until they drop. Generally active normally but then become lethargic and keel over very quickly afterwards.

A bit of a headscratcher, none died since my initial post, although no changes, go figure!
andym127

Postby Rockfish » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Well, it's good to hear that you haven't lost any more. It's always frustrating to get mystery deaths that you can't see any obvious reason for.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:05 pm

What is the lifespan of these things? We do not have them in my country.
Is it possible they were all from the same hatching so all died at a similar time of old age?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Rockfish » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:08 pm

That could be possible, especially if they were already adult sized when purchased. Although I've always kept RCS and similar shrimp as a larger breeding colony I would guess mine seemed to last about two years, most sources would seem to indicate 1-2 years is the norm.

Amano shrimp live quite a bit longer, I have some that are at least 5-6 years old.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby andym127 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 pm

I follow your logic but RCS were juveniles approx 2 months old. Water change tomorrow, let's see what happens over next few days :-/
andym127

Postby TropicalRex » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Hoping you didn't have any more problems after reading this. Very frustrating when this happens. It's one thing knowing they are dying but when there's no obvious reason :?
TropicalRex

Return to Freshwater Discussion