should i be worried?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

should i be worried?

Postby wilddog » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:06 pm

my 120 litre (31 US gallon) curved 1 meter long fish tank i have had set-up for 6 months is slightly uneven by this i mean one end of the tank is full to the brim with water, the others about 1cm off. should i be concerned about this?
wilddog

Re: should i be worried?

Postby Rockfish » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi,

It probably depends why one end is lower. Generally speaking of course, you want the tank on a firm level base that gives even support.

If the tank is firmly and evenly supported, and the angle is just to do with a slight slope on the floor, it won't necessarily cause you any problems. However, if the unevenness was due to the stand sagging under the weight or similar, then there's a risk the base could crack or the joints could become stressed and leak.

Is it a commercial tank with a "base frame" or a plain glass tank? If the latter, it's advisable to use a base mat or layer of polystyrene underneath to cushion the tank and reduce the effect of any slight unevenness.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby wilddog » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:50 pm

its a interpet fish pod ( a trusted brand) with the stand they sell with it, so im doubtful its the stand as i know the room its in does have a slight slope.
thanks for the reply.
wilddog

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:03 pm

If it is the floor and the slope annoys you (I know it would me!) get some wide duct tape or similar (you can get all sorts of colours and widths from auto shops) and stick the tape along the top edge so the water surface level is above the tape line so you can't see it is sloping.
The tape on my tank is about 4cm wide. I use it as I do not like to see the top of the water level, unless it is a paludarium or similar. I also have to have a lower water level in case of earthquakes as it slops over the edge if too high so the tape allows me to have a lower water level but still not see it below the large fitted wooden lid.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby wilddog » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:22 pm

thanks, i might try that.
wilddog

Return to Help!