fish r fun

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

fish r fun

Postby nike orion » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:12 pm

hi im new...
just brought,well,got given a fish r fun 601 aquarium..
it came with only the light,so have been hunting the correct parts,
have sourced a filter box,though have no idea how it works,i know how it sits,but thought there be a pump or summit with it?..
have an aftermarket heater and pump for now,just getting the tank up2 temperature and water to be ok..
be grateful for knowledge on if anybody has any parts lying around,what temperature the water shud be,what idealy i should be doing...
we going for clown fish as we have a scooby doo theme,just was not allowed to have dog fish.. :mrgreen:
nike orion

Re: fish r fun

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 am

Firstly, welcome to The Tropical Tank.
Now, we are going to inundate you with questions to make sure you get the right answers.
Most important, as I do not know the connection between Scooby Doo and clown fish, I need to ask what sort of fish you mean. There are both tropical and marine fish known by that common name but each requires a totally different habitat.
I had to Google the tank as it is one I had never heard of. Sounds like it is 48cm x 58cm wide x 34cm deep and holds 72 litres.
This is a small tank and you will be limited to how many, and what species, fish you can keep. If by clown fish you are thinking of the black and orange striped clown loach, your tank is way too small for this fish.
We need a better explanation of a filter box to work out what it is you have. Some confuse filters with air pumps.
I gather that tank has a 3 stage trickle filter in the top. Does the one you have been given not have this? I assume not as you say it only has the lights.
Temperature requirements depend on which fish you decide to keep but generally speaking, most of the small fish that would be suitable for your sized aquarium like 25 - 27C.
I suggest you go to the Home Page (click on The Tropical Tank logo at the top left of the page) and look up all the information there on aquariums, water chemistry (as important than temperature), cycling a new tank and all the other stuff you need to know before purchasing any livestock.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby nike orion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 am

thanks for the reply..
was given the tank,i have brought the 3 stage filtration box,not quite sure if you leave the bits in the bags?..
has no pipes so ordering them later,just thought it might need a pump to pump the water through the filter box,specialy as this one sits above the water..
yep 72 ltrs,filled to 60 so theres dorsil space at the top..
had catfish when i was a lad,but thats 20 years ago...my lil girl loves finding nemo,so looking for them..as with scooby doo,its just the theme for the tank,ie ornaments and background,thats my idea realy....
i currentyl have a 100w heater range from 19 to 31c,wish it be in farenheit..also a basic water pump,no idea on make,it just blows bubbles,my sister who usedto have the tank used to keep cold water...
nike orion

Postby SparkyST » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 pm

If you want a finding nemo fish you will need a marine tank e.g. salt water which are considerably more expensive and harder to maintain.
SparkyST

Postby nike orion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

SparkyST wrote:If you want a finding nemo fish you will need a marine tank e.g. salt water which are considerably more expensive and harder to maintain.

thought so...its in the film realy....
tropical it is then....did find the built in skimmer kit for my tank,but way to costly on what iv been reading... :shock:
nike orion

Postby Rockfish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi,

The "bits in the bags" might be carbon? Small black pieces? Or they might have greyish bits in too if it's a mixed resin. Either way, if they're in mesh bags, then yes, you would normally leave them in the bags which allows the water to flow through but stops the bits escaping into the filter/tank.

If you want to aim for mid-range tropical temperature, then 77'F is 25'C, which is ideal.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby nike orion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Rockfish wrote:Hi,

The "bits in the bags" might be carbon? Small black pieces? Or they might have greyish bits in too if it's a mixed resin. Either way, if they're in mesh bags, then yes, you would normally leave them in the bags which allows the water to flow through but stops the bits escaping into the filter/tank.

If you want to aim for mid-range tropical temperature, then 77'F is 25'C, which is ideal.

thank you that man...
didnt know if the bits came out the bag,or you used only 1 at a time..trust me..no instructions were included...bit like kids,..thought they had batteries :rofl:
nike orion

Postby nike orion » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm

okay...now the pipes have turned up for the filter box..
does this just get placed in the tank,would have thought there be some sort of pump to flow the water through the filter...
theres 2 straight sections of pipe,1 90degree control valve and a pipe thats got a siv like bottom...
might end up going pets at home and getting 'standard of the shelf universal bits'..
nike orion

Postby SparkyST » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:25 pm

Is it this tank? http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/Fish-R- ... binet.html

If so looks like you do need a pump
SparkyST

Postby nike orion » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm

yep....anyone know what pump is required?
nike orion

Postby nike orion » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:26 pm

have found this...
frf 338 12v pump on rocket aquatics..
is this for mine?as mine has 12v outlet..if so, anyone know how it goes in?.. .
nike orion

Postby SparkyST » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:15 am

Found these on ebay different sizes for different size tanks. You may want to contact them to see which is best for your model

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERNAL-POWE ... 1c3e3db88a
SparkyST

Postby nike orion » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:17 pm

now have pump,filter,and heater,all correct parts bar the heater,but working fine...
whats the next step before adding fish?..ie ph water,temp,anything else i mite need....
nike orion

Postby Rockfish » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:44 pm

Once everything is up and running, you need to let it settle for a few days, use a separate thermometer to check that the heater is achieving the correct temperature. Add a dechlorinator/water conditioner if you haven't already.

You shouldn't get any readings on waste levels on an empty tank, but it would be worth testing pH and maybe hardness to see what your local water is like. Your local aquatic shop may be able to test and advise you if you don't already have test kits.

The most important thing before you add fish is to decide how you're going to handle the way the tank needs to mature biologically, i.e. the cycling process.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby nike orion » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:48 pm

thats good to know..
got 4 fish today to introduce into my tank..pets at home were very thoughtful..already told e iv had the tank up and running for a month before adding fish
my daughter wanted 12 fish to start,but was gladly told bout having the introduction period,i have 3 females and 1 male,you can tell hes male,likes pokng the others,1 more so...
looking into the cycling period,basicly i need to change the water levels every few months with fresh water(same temp 25c)by around 1/4 water level...
shouldn't have to worry bout buying more fish,didnt see the point as ones pregnant already....shall take a few pics 2mo and see what everyone thinks...
nike orion

Next

Return to Beginners