Restocking/tank mates for a golden gourami ??

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Restocking/tank mates for a golden gourami ??

Postby AlexC » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:51 am

hi there,
i have been posting in the 'help' section with help getting high nitrates down, im glad to say we are on the mend and sitting with about 20ppm now, i am testing daily and small water changes and general keeping an eye on everything. i am waiting a few weeks until i slowly start restocking. the whole tank has been cleaned including filters all the correct way ie in fish tank water etc

firstly i have a juwel 180 liter, filtered with the built in filter they come with then an addiction fluval for 100l. planted with roughly 15 java fern and a few others i have no idea what they are :\ drift wood and some rocks. the aquarium has at the minute only got 1 golden gourami. a 'stone sucker' i believe is a ceylon.. i accuired this of a friend he is about 15cm in length and is quite peaceful. and one rainbow fish. these havent done well in my tank, i am unsure if its because of the high nitrates, gourami or our lower ph which my tank is currently sitting at 6. the pet shop said i should add this and that and raise my ph i am however not wanting to fiddle with it and would much rather stock with fish who are happy with a low ph. on research my gourami is ok and the stone sucker, but the rainbows prefere around 6.5. my plan was as the shop suggested maybe i should add a few more gourami? are you able to mix goldens with the likes of the pearl and the blue ones (cant remember their name they have a nice striped effect on them) and i know if im right the 2 or 3 spot gourami is another colouration of the golden? so im abit unsure of what to do with him, but he is my favourite and im sure he is male as his dorsal fine is about 1 inch long and pointed rather than short and rounded. sorry for going on and on...i then was going to return the rainbow which im gutted about as i love them also, but i was going to go for the scissor rosbara as i found they like lower ph aswell. i then wanted a shoal of about 6 corys and a few apple snails...if anyone can add or give suggestition i would be very greatful especially with my gourami dilema...

i think that is all at the minute
thanks in advance alex :D
Alex
Edinburgh
Scotland
AlexC

Re: Restocking/tank mates for a golden gourami ??

Postby Rockfish » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi,

Most fish that prefer a low pH will be happy between 6.0 and 7.0 or a little over, so I wouldn't get too hung up on exact numbers. There are some true 'acidophile' fish, but most commonly available commercially-bred community fish are fairly adaptable.

The gold/blue/opaline gouramies are all colour forms of the two/three-spot gourami, and mixing any of these could be risky (especially if one is already established in the tank) as they can be quite aggressive.

However, the 'blue' one you mentioned with the striped effect is probably one of the colour forms of the dwarf gourami, which are generally quite peaceful.

Pearl gouramies are normally fairly peaceful too, but again the established gold gourami could take exception to them.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby AlexC » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Hey. So I should avoid adding any more gourami...what else could you suggest I add. I don't think he is aggressive as I never see him chasing the others and if he had been the culprit for eating the other rainbows surely he would of eaten the last one when it's vulnerable on its own? Although I say the same thing about my horse and she's the biggest bitch out the lot and rules the place haha. I do love the rainbows so was considering a group of them and a group of the scissor tail rosbara? Then corys aswell??
Thanks
Alex
Edinburgh
Scotland
AlexC

Postby Rockfish » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't think the gourami would bother the rainbows particularly - it might chase one occasionally, but if you have a group of them it probably wouldn't cause any stress.

The gourami is more likely to be aggressive towards a member of its own species, followed by a similar looking gourami species.

Dwarf rainbows and scissortails could work well together for the upper regions and cory's to occupy the bottom of the tank.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby AlexC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:44 pm

hi thanks for the help! greatly appreciated :)
i have decided i will have the golden gourami, the stone sucker thing i have, then next part i am stuck on, i have tried using that calculator on here but it wont add scissor tail rasbara into it. i have read that they can be quite large at 6" and the rainbows are alot smaller at only about 2" i am wanting a shoal for each plus 6 corys. what numbers for the rainbows and rasbara would you suggest, id like 10 of the rasbara and at least 10 of the rainbows but would this be to many in my 180l??
i will be taking my time to restock and will be doing it over atleast a month so tank is fully stable

retested again tonight after alot of the water changes recently and nitrates are down to 20ppm and ph has risen to roughly 6.5 :)

thanks again
alex:)
Alex
Edinburgh
Scotland
AlexC

Postby Rockfish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Looks like the water quality is much better. :)

You would probably find the scissortails reaching about 4-5" on average, you could maybe reduce the number slightly to say 8, which would still give a reasonable shoal without overloading the tank with your other planned stock.

If your proposed stock is introduced gradually, and the appropriate maintenance is kept up, I don't think you'll have any problems with that stocking level.
Sean

Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Discussion