Replacement centrepiece fish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Replacement centrepiece fish

Postby Barrie2206 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 am

Hi all, I recently upgraded to a 200ltr tank unfortunately due to a bad case of biological bloom and the stress of the tank move my angel fish died. I am looking for a new centrepiece fish for the tank once the bloom has settled. I have always had angels in the past but am looking for a change any suggestions welcome below is the current stock

5 Buenos airies tetra (fully grown)
6 cherry barbs (new so still small)
5 danios (new so still small)
1 plec about 5 inches
Barrie2206

Re: Replacement centrepiece fish

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 am

I wonder if you would have trouble replacing the angel as I suspect those Bueno Aires tetras might think the tank is now their territory and hound anything you add at this point. Someone else may say differently but I have always found them nasty bullies.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Barrie2206 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:07 am

They seem fine they just chase each other they haven't bothered the other new additions to this point
Barrie2206

Postby Rockfish » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 pm

If you have a little group of them, then they may be better behaved towards other fish, as they spend more of the time establishing their own pecking order within the group, rather than bothering other fish. This is never easy to predict though, every situation is different.

If you want something a little larger along the same lines as the angelfish, then perhaps a pair of gouramies might fit the bill, personally I think a pair of Pearl gouramies can look stunning.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Beginners