Substrate?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Substrate?

Postby micky13 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:13 pm

HI I am setting up a new tropical tank and am a bit confused about which substrate to use. Some say gravel others sand.
Would a mixture of both gravel and sand work or could it cause problems. Thanks.
micky13

Re: Substrate?

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:40 am

Which you choose is a matter of personal choice - unless you want a species of fish that prefers one over the other.
You can use both in the one tank but it is hard to keep them separate as the fish rummage through it all.
You can't use sand if you have an under gravel filter either and, if you use sand, make sure any filter uplift is far enough above it so it does not suck sand into the filter and stuff the impeller.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Rockfish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 pm

I agree, a lot of it is simply personal taste and aesthetics.

There are some fish however that would probably prefer a sandy substrate, such as loaches and Corydoras catfish that like to root around in the substrate as part of their natural foraging and feeding behaviour.

If you mix them, the finer substrate will inevitably end up on the bottom over time. However, a sandy base with some areas of gravel/pebbles can make for a more varied and stimulating environment for bottom feeders like the ones mentioned above to root around in.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby micky13 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi, Thanks Rockfish & Caryinz for the advice have taken on board. mick
micky13

Return to Help!