Sailfin Plec is getting very territorial

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Sailfin Plec is getting very territorial

Postby Angiewest » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

I recently purchased a fully stocked aquarium... this is my first Aquarium... It has a lovely selection of fish...........
However it has a stunning Sailfin plec approx. 9 inches long and 6 corys and 5 bristle noses which are all approx. 4 to 5 inch long.... The plec has begun to chase off the other bottom feeders from his corner and although its amazing to watch I am sure either he or the others are getting stressed.. It also came with 6 asst gouramis 1 red tail shark and a good mix of mollies, guppies and platys and some zebra danios ... I water test weekly and do everything I am supposed to do but that beautiful plec is a bit of a devil lol can someone give me a few tips please
Angiewest

Re: Sailfin Plec is getting very territorial

Postby SparkyST » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:39 pm

What size tank do you have, I'm sure that will be the first question someone more knowledgeable than me will ask
SparkyST

Postby Rockfish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:20 pm

It may not do any harm if he's just chasing them out of 'his' little patch of the tank now and then, but it could cause stress to the others if the behaviour becomes more constant.

You also have to consider that at 9", it's potentially only about half-grown!

The behaviour isn't likely to change for the better, so if it gets worse or he outgrows the tank, then if a larger tank isn't an option it might be necessary to see if a local aquatic store would accept him for rehoming. Fishkeepers with larger tanks will often seek large sailfin or common plecs to house with cichlids, etc.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carlgarner1989 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:52 pm

I have two large plecs in my tank and they have little stand offs lol. Great to watch but I know wat you mean. They seem ok it's prob just their 'turf' the stand off is amazin to watch. Looks like a fish version of wen ostriches fight lol
Carlgarner1989

Return to Help!