Rising pH

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Rising pH

Postby MartinC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Fluval Rio 125litre, Bioflow 3.0 internal filter, upgraded to 200w heater set to 25.5 degrees and 600l/h pump, 2x28w t5 lamps on for 10 hrs a day as, 15ish plants, sand substrate with a few stones and plant pots and 2 pieces of bog wood. 5 zebra loaches, 8 tiger barbs and 4 red harlequin rasboras.
Water parameters are good, 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 40ppm Nitrates with weekly 30% water changes. Water out the tap Is the same.
My problem is pH, out of the tap it is 7.6 but after standing in a glass for 24hrs it rises to 8.2 and in the tank to 8.4. Should I be concerned? I'm worried that during a water change there is a drop in pH and that if I ever leave the tank longer than 7 days the pH will rise even further. I've ordered a GH & KH test kit to see if this reveals anything but I know I live in a hard water area with almost 40ppm Nitrates out the tap.
Fish appear happy and lively enough and water is clear, the only thing to be added to water is dechlorinator before I add it to tank and seachem flourish once a week.
any suggestions or comments gratefully received.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Re: Rising pH

Postby Rockfish » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:30 pm

I wouldn't worry too much if the fish seem healthy. 7.6 - 8.4 might seem like a big difference, but the gradual mixing of the 30% new water as you fill the tank should only have a gradual effect on the 70% already there.

It would be worth checking the GH and KH (of the tank and tap water) as you suggested, to better understand your water chemistry.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby MartinC » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Just tested tank water for GH & KH, KH is 143.2ppm and GH is off the scale, it took 13 drops so it's more than 214.8ppm. I knew we have hard water but didn't realise it was so hard. Should I be doing anything about this and is this causing my pH to rise? I am a little concerned about this.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus
MartinC

Postby Rockfish » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm more used to thinking in degrees of hardness, which for your numbers would be GH=12 and KH=8.

I have soft water now, but those numbers are about the same as where I used to live, and I kept a wide variety of species without issues. It sounds like your fish are doing fine too - the zero ammonia and nitrite level are much more important.

The high KH will keep your pH value stable at a higher level, but won't cause it to rise as such unless something is actually adding to the KH, such as minerals leached from stones or some types of sand/gravel substrate.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Beginners