Fish Move

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Fish Move

Postby Darrel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Evening all

I recently treated myself to two new tanks for my 50th a 100L and 200L Aqua Oak as they gave me a bit more room and the wife likes the cabinets, the larger one is now planted up, cycled and has been home to various happy (I hope) snails and shrimp for over six months, I've been testing regularly (all zero) and have seen no real differences to my old Rio 180 (which still homes all my fish) other than the ph is 6.4 in the 200L and 7.0 in the Rio, I use tap water conditioned with Prime and I'm assuming the ph difference is down to the fact that the 200L has FE CO2 and the Rio does not, my question is will my current crew be ok with the change in ph when I move them or will I have to raise the ph in my new tanks? I want to move

Tiger Barb
Red Tailed Black Shark
Siamese Algae Eater
Torpedo Barb
Serpae Tetra
Kribensis
Rumy Nose Tetra
Redtail Notho

They will eventually be spread over the two tanks one for the peaceful and one for the more excitable, mooching the web seems to imply that 6.4 is .1 lower than the lowest limit for some.

Thanks

Darrel
Darrel

Re: Fish Move

Postby Rockfish » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about small 0.1 pH differences, the ranges quoted are only guidelines and of course vary somewhat between different sources - and a lot of commercially bred fish will never have lived in the natural waters the values are often based on. I wouldn't have any concerns with any of the fish you listed down to a pH of 6.0 as long as it was stable and the other aspects of water quality were good.

There are various ways you could make the transition easier, such as doing a decent sized partial water change on both the donor and destination tanks with water from the same source a few hours or the day before moving fish over so that the values are a little closer together. Or you could even drain say about one-third of the water from the destination tank and move some water over from the donor tank (much easier with a pump and tubing than with buckets).

However, even if you don't take measures like the above, I don't think you'll have any problem if you bag them and use the same release procedures you would use when introducing new fish from a shop.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Darrel » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 am

Morning Sean
Thanks for the reply Sean and reassurance, seeing as it's change day today I think i'll do as you suggest
with water from the donor tank and move some of them over.

Thanks again for the advice

Darrel
Darrel

Postby Rockfish » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:11 pm

No problem, hope it went smoothly! :)
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Help!