New SE Asian setup

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

New SE Asian setup

Postby annielabtech » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:37 am

OK, so my 90l tank has been a bit forgotten about, it currently houses 4 harlequin rasboras so i thought a SE asian theme (rather than biotope) would be a good idea. Other than crypts, does anyone have any other ideas for asian plants that are easy to grow and not too demanding in terms of light etc. anything other than java moss/ fern that could attach to bog wood to give a variety?

Are there any small algea eaters suitable for this tank? otherwise i will just add ottos/ dwarf ottos. and what temp should this tank be?

i am currently thinking:

6-8 harlequins
3 stripy loaches (candy stripe?)
2 dwarf goramies

thoughts? could i use female bettas instead of dwarf goramies? this is my first "themed" tank so no mean comments please.

Thanks in advance!
annielabtech

Re: New SE Asian setup

Postby Rockfish » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi,

Depending on the type of plants you're seeking, Vallis species are hardy and always good for background planting, as is Limnophila sessiloflora. The Java Fern and Moss are the main choices for attaching to wood if you want to stick with an Asian theme, though there are several varieties of each to achieve different looks. The same applies to Crypts too of course. Anubias are another good one for attaching to wood, but it depends whether your happy to bend the rules for African plants!

There aren't too many small Asian algae eaters, many of the contenders like Garra and Crossocheilus species get a bit larger and/or are very active. Amano shrimp might be a possibility? Perhaps also Zebra/Nerite snails to add variety to the aquascape as well as another algae eater.

There's no reason why you couldn't use female Bettas instead of dwarf gouramies, in which case I'd go for a small group rather than just two.

Temperature-wise I would aim for around 25'C / 77'F.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby annielabtech » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks Sean that's really helpful. Are the zebra loaches too big for my tank? Any ideas how many female bettas would work, 3, 5? Hadn't heard of the snails before, will look out for them. Thanks again :)
annielabtech

Postby Rockfish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 pm

I don't think the zebra / candy-stripe loaches would be too large for your tank, they rarely get much beyond 5cm/2" (assuming your 90L tank is a fairly conventional shape rather than tall and thin, as the floor space is more useful to loaches of course). Provide them with a varied aquascape with pebbles, wood, plants, etc and they will usually be very active and inquisitive, poking around in all the nooks and crannies.

Five might be a good number for the female Bettas. That will give them some space but also minimise the chances of one becoming more dominant, as can sometimes happen when certain fish are kept in small numbers like 2 or 3.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby annielabtech » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks that's really helpful.
annielabtech

Return to Freshwater Discussion