White spot/lump on Rummynose

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

White spot/lump on Rummynose

Postby davemartin33 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi guys,

This is my 1st post on here and its a shame it's in the help section, but I have a issue with a new Rummynose I got about a week ago. I got 7 in total and 1 stray Red Eye. They all seem fine and have settled in well. However today I noticed one of the has a big white spot possible under his scales on his back by his dorsal fin. He seems ok, and is eating fine and is swimming well. I am. Not sure what it is. Does anyone have any idea? He didn't have it when I got them last weekend, and they came from a very good store where they quarantine the fish and make sure they are disease free. Also no other fish are exhibiting the same symptoms.

I am at a loss, and am not sure of I should quarantine him or remove him from the tank. I have uploaded some photos as well.

Many thanks
Dave
Tank for 2+ years, medium community Tank
6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Rummynose Tetras
6 Pentazona Barbs
1 Red Eye Tetra
1 Blue Moon Gourami
5 Mollies
1 Leopard Danio
1 Bristlenose Pled
davemartin33

Re: White spot/lump on Rummynose

Postby Rockfish » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:08 am

Hi,

It's difficult to be sure exactly what it is, but if it is beneath the scales as you describe, it eliminates the usual external parasites or bacterial infections. A white/opaque looking spot inside the fish could be internal bacterial infection in the muscle tissue of the fish or it could be the result of an internal parasite like microsporidia (that cause diseases like Neon Tetra Disease). The downside of an internal infection is being harder to treat, the potential upside is a likelihood of being less likely to spread (although NTD can be quite infectious). It could even be the start of a tumour growth (less likely in younger fish) or just a more benign growth or tissue damage that will heal.

None of this gives you much to go on treatment-wise unfortunately, but I don't think there's too much you can do at this stage other than keep a close eye on it (and the other fish) for any changes. If I were going to try a "better than nothing" shot in the dark treatment I would probably go for something that treats a number of different internal problems, such as Waterlife's Octozin, but treating without a probable diagnosis often isn't ideal.

I can't see any photos by the way, but it may not have allowed images/links to be added on your first post.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby davemartin33 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:11 am

Hi Rockfish/Sean,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. The fish seemed ok on the day i posted this, but unfortunately he had died the next day when i came down. The good news is that none of the other fish seem to have the same issue and are all ok, so hopefully it was a internal issue that caused it. I did try to add photos, but it wouldn't let me on my post. I have just tried again, but i still have the same issue, maybe it is as you say and it's my first post.

Anyway, thank you very much for the reply. I will keep a close eye on the remaining fish and hopefully they will all be ok.

many thanks

Dave
Dave
6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Rummynose Tetras
6 Pentazona Barbs
1 Red Eye Tetra
1 Blue Moon Gourami
5 Mollies
1 Leopard Danio
1 Bristlenose Pled
davemartin33

Postby davemartin33 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 am

Hi guys,

I spoke prematurely last time. This disease back, and it has taken out 4 of my cardinals and 1 of my pentazona barbs. I have quarantined those fish when they looked ill, but it was too late and they have died this morning. I believe it may be the NTD you mentioned Rockfish. I am keeping a close eye on all the other tetras and barbs. So far they seem ok, but I think it may have spread as one died the other night and before I noticed it he had been eaten by some of the others. Is this the way it would be passed on, or would just it being in the tank infections the other fish? I worry it is going to take out all my other fish.

I have also concluded it must of come from the New fish I got. however annoyingly it has only infected my old fish and the New ones seem fine. Hopefully as I quarantined the sick ones, no more will catch it. I have also done a water change and put some more bacteria balls in the tank to help improve water quality.
Dave
6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Rummynose Tetras
6 Pentazona Barbs
1 Red Eye Tetra
1 Blue Moon Gourami
5 Mollies
1 Leopard Danio
1 Bristlenose Pled
davemartin33

Postby Rockfish » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear things have taken a turn for the worse. If other fish were nibbling on a dead fish that would certainly increase the chances of something being passed on, but with many infections just being in the same tank is enough.

It's possible the new fish could have been carriers of something they were resistant to, hence only affecting the original fish.

If the water quality is as good as it can be, then you could try an antibacterial (formulations with Acriflavin would be good) in combination with a tonic salt, which can sometimes stop or minimise mystery infections.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Help!