CLOWN LOACH

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

CLOWN LOACH

Postby steve008 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:45 am

Hi,
would love to add some clown loach to my tank but was put off when my friend said don't bother they are white spot magnets, has any one kept these fish or have any, have you experienced problems at all. Would they be ok with discus fish, any advice good or bad would be appreciated
thanks
steve008

Re: CLOWN LOACH

Postby Rockfish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 am

It's true that clown loach can be particularly prone to whitespot, but if you buy them from a good supplier that has had them in stock for a little while so that they're settled, there's no reason why they should break out in whitespot as long as they are added to a mature tank with good water quality, and not stressed unduly during the transport and introduction to the tank.

The usual problem with clown loach is they are often added to tanks that are ultimately too small for them. I have known a few people combine them with discus in larger tanks, though some discus purists might not be keen on the idea, and some might feel they're a bit lively and boisterous at times to combine with discus.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby steve008 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi,
many thanks for advice, will have a think about getting one, not going to rush into it.
steve008

Postby Carylnz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:14 am

I agree with Rockfish but, looking on the bright side, at least the higher temperature will speed up the white spot cycle :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:16 pm

I've got two in my tank which has a few other fish in with them. Touch wood I've never had any problems with white spot or them not getting on as folk say keeping them as a three is better than a pair.
There great to watch and I can see how they get there name lol. They still give me a fright when I see them sleep on there sides or sometimes there backs lol.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Clown loaches much prefer to be in groups and are much happier that way and less likely to be stressed. Although 3 is OK, 5 or more is better but you need a suitably sized tank.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby John Williams » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:17 pm

steve008 wrote:Hi,
many thanks for advice, will have a think about getting one, not going to rush into it.

Not sure that "one" is the right answer. Loaches are a very social fish and like to live in groups. They "perform" better when they feel supported by a group of friends. Clown loaches can be a lot of fun...but one will be lonely and shy!
"Be prepared..... be VERY prepared!" I'm not sure Lord Baden-Powell used the last bit...but it works for me!
John Williams

Return to Freshwater Discussion