pregnant guppies!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

pregnant guppies!

Postby melanie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi, I'm new to this so bear with me. I have inherited a tropical tank and have lots of pregnant guppies. The tank is only 22 litres and I have other fish as well - too many I think :-( So - I have 6 pregnant females which is 100's of babies! What do I do?
melanie

Re: pregnant guppies!

Postby Rockfish » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Being overrun with guppies is something many new fishkeepers experience!

As you said, you are probably already overstocked in that size tank and you certainly will be once the babies start appearing. The tank isn't large enough to rear the young, so I would say you only really have three options:
1. Buy a bigger tank!
2. If you have any friends that keep fish, see if someone can take some of the fish off your hands.
3. See if a local store will accept the pregnant guppies.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby melanie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Thank you :-) I think we're getting another tank :-D this fish keeping lark isn't easy is it! Maybe that's why we were given the tank.
melanie

Postby Rockfish » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm sure many newcomers to fishkeeping find there's more to it than they imagined, but having said that, there are a small number of basic things that tend to ensure success. I'd say five of the most important things are research fish before buying, don't overstock, don't overfeed, do regular partial water changes and maintain the filter correctly. Most people who follow those five things should have very few problems.

It can be more difficult to maintain a smaller volume of water, as it's inherently less stable and wastes build up more quickly. Therefore, it's even more important to do a regular partial water change (suggest 25% per week) and to feed carefully - far more fish are harmed by overfeeding than underfeeding.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby melanie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Thank you - again :-)
melanie

Return to Help!