Leaking Tank

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Leaking Tank

Postby keith » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:51 am

I have an Aqua One Style 850 (160L) which I have had for about 6 years very happily. However 2 days ago it sprang a leak and overnight leaked about 50 L of water onto the carpet.

I transfered the fish and drained the tank.

I then took the tank outside and set it up and slowly topped it up, stopping for a few hours at variouslevels without seeing anythig obvious,

I ran the top filter system - again no probem. I proved that if you block the top filter discharge the level stays below the lip and overflows back to the tank. However, given the quantity of lost water, I assumed this are must be to blame as it has the pump pushing water out.

Suffice to say, with no obvious leaks, I set it up again in the house and added 6 ins water - no leaks after 3 hours so added another few ins - again no leak. I started to get confident (over confident) that the issue had to be dirty filters causing a blockage and a bit of an overflow and therefore added the gravel, ornaments and plants. Still no problem so started transferring fish back from their emergency home. Eventually with the last of the fish in bags in the tank, aclimatising, I had reached full depth when I noticed a stready seep from the tank - MMmmm!

I have to accept that the tank does have a small leak and have therefore drained down, returned the fish to their emergency home (an old 45 L tank)

I cannot see anything obvious with the tank and suspect that any repair is likely to be v expensive and difficult.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I am starting to look at replacing the tank only, or splashing out and buying a total new aqaurium. With the later, in order to fit in the room, I am either looking at a Fluval Vicenza 180, a Jewal Vision 180 or a boyu modern 190 (very similar appearance to my Aqua one). The Boyu appears very cheap and is Chinese - anyone got any experience of these? Do I stick with the Aqua one? Do I try to get the original tank repaired? Do I flog the original as a reptile tank?

All thoughts gratefully accepted.
keith

Re: Leaking Tank

Postby Rockfish » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi,

It would be possible to repair the tank, it sounds like it would need an internal re-seal. If you have a local shop that makes custom tanks they could probably do it - I would estimate it might cost around £50 as it's mostly labour time. If you fancied tackling it yourself, the cost could be as little as a £6 tube of aquarium sealant. You would need to clean the tank very thoroughly, cut out as much of the old silicone sealant as possible, and then clean the area to be re-sealed with white spirit or similar so that there's no dirt or grease. It's then a case of sealing along the joints in the same way you would seal around a bathtub or tiling, etc.

If you don't fancy either of the above options then the Fluval or Juwel are safe bets as most places will stock spares and they are both tanks that have very few problems with leaks. Can't vouch for the Boyu although their smaller tanks seem fine.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby keith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 pm

Sean

Thanks for the response.

I eventually replaced the tank with a new 850 aquarium as I know it and it fits where I want it. Given the price of a complete tank was only £15 more than the quotes for a replacement tank, this seemed a good deal giving me a selection of spares for when tubes fail or filters need changing.

I will now have time to have a go at repairing the old tank and can do so in slower time as my fish have moved to their new premises and are very much happier than they were squashed in the stand by. If the repair fails - it will just have to go as a reptile tank!

Thanks again

Keith
keith

Postby Rockfish » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:19 pm

That sounds like a good solution under the circumstances - as you say, if nothing else it means you have some spares and you can take your time deciding whether to repair the old tank.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Help!