Phantom fish deaths

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Phantom fish deaths

Postby danielpalfrey » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:34 am

Hi there, I am no newbie with fish tanks, i have two others which have both been set up for 3 years now with little problem.
I have had a strange one these past two days though. I got some new fish in my tank, after two days 2 guppies and a dwarf gourmet died. these were new so I thought maybe it was stress related (not an issue these fish are exchangeable) But tonight my kissing gourmet (I have had him for 3 months) has died. the scales down one side seem to have been pulled off, there were no symptoms at all to indicate any problems. after finding this fish dead I performed a water test which indicated all clear. no ammonia nitrites or nitrates. ph is 7.

this is a community tank containing flying fox's
rainbow widow
kissing and dwarf gourmet
guppies
and clown loach

of all these fish I know that one of the clowns has chased some of the smaller fish and I have had a problem in the past where occasionally ill get a violent clown.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause my fish to die so suddenly, could this have been an attack?

Cheers

Dan

Here is a picture so you can see the damage. fish has now been removed from tank. (sorry for the poor picture quality)

danielpalfrey

Re: Phantom fish deaths

Postby markee » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:24 pm

It could've been that the new fish came in with an internal infection, coupled with the stress of moving, was enough to kill them. I don't know if the infection could have been passed on to the Kissing Gourami but it could also be that the indroduction of new fish has upset the balance in the tank, ie the original fish were nicely settled but the new fish had unsettled them, causing a bit of stress. Flying Foxes can get a 'little grumpy' as they get older, can be territorial and probably the likely culprits to the missing scales.
markee

Postby danielpalfrey » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 pm

thanks for the info, the flying fox's are new to me, only had them a few weeks, first time i have ever brought them but they (to me) look nicer then plecs and I prefer to buy fish that look good rather than "buying them for a job" Kinda cruel really.
danielpalfrey

Postby markee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:25 pm

The hobby would be a very boring hobby if we all liked the same fish. I kept Flying Foxes quite a few years back and it was quite a battle to try and find a 'true' one as most LFS stock the false variant. I bought them because i liked them too, a nice fish with loads of character but can be a bit nasty with less robust fish if it's in a bad mood, they can move quick when they want to so make sure your tank hood is secure.
markee

Postby danielpalfrey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 pm

haha, i had to search long and hard for them too. My hood is secured with a photo atm. One of my clowns and a flying fox died earlier today, checked them out when I woke up and the were healthy as anything (or seemed to be) came home to find them dead
danielpalfrey

Return to Help!