Transporting tropical fish

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Transporting tropical fish

Postby Miggy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:35 am

How long when transporting fish can you keep them in the bag.
Miggy

Re: Transporting tropical fish

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:20 am

That depends on how appropriately you have bagged them and how they are being transported.
I have been known to travel 2 days with bagged fish at times. Never lost one yet.
If you are buying tropical fish at a store to take home in the car, make sure they do not put too many fish into each bag. Anything larger than about 4cm should be individually bagged.
Bags should 1/4 water to 3/4 air.
Make sure they are packed firmly so the bags do not slosh around or fall over.
Usually your car internal temperature is reasonable so heating is not required (this depends on where you live. We sometimes use chilly bags to keep the fish from overheating and other times to keep them warm). Polystyrene boxes or chilly bins are excellent for transporting bags of fish. Pack scrunched up newspaper around the bags to keep them firmly upright and further insulated.
If it is below 25C and they are being transported in an unheated vehicle, use a heat pack.
My favourite fish shop is a 4 hour drive away so by the time we have driven home and got the bags of fish floated, 5 or more hours has passed.
Many fish can cope with slow changes in temperature as they are being transported. It is the sudden changes that cause problems.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!