Hi & questions regarding uv sterilizers

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Hi & questions regarding uv sterilizers

Postby Bassydix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:47 am

Hi all,
Nice and new here and also new to owning my own tropical tank so for the safety of my fishy friends and my own sanity I figured Aswell as literal research I would come here and get people's advice too :D

Okay so here goes, currently I'm running a 4ft 280l tank, using 2 300w heaters (one as a backup) a fluval 305 and an erm twin output air pump, don't know the name of it! So anyhoo I was looking at getting a uv sterilizer but don't know wether to get a submersible one or one that connect via the filters tubing, from what I've seen I'm not sure they would connect to fluval tubes but not sure! Any recommendations? In my mind the submersible one, also being a filter for a 400l tank would be a better option as it would be a secondary filter right? Probably completely wrong! :D

Thanks all and hi to everyone!
Paul
Bassydix

Re: Hi & questions regarding uv sterilizers

Postby Rockfish » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum :)

You're right that the specific ribbed tubing supplied with the Fluval canisters can be a bit more difficult to use with some inline fittings.

A secondary filter with a built in UV might therefore be a better option, and additional/backup filtration is never a bad thing!

A UV sterilizer isn't usually strictly necessary, but it can help to reduce infections and also help with water clarity.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Re: Hi & questions regarding uv sterilizers

Postby Bassydix » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:30 am

Thank you :)

Yeah I didn't even know about them until I woke up one day and my tank had clouded up for the first time, all clear now though but figured I'd look into uv's to be safe, think I'll invest in a co2 system first though :D
Bassydix

Return to Beginners