Tank water slick

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Tank water slick

Postby Watty88 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and relatively new to fish keeping so go easy on me.

I've recently upgraded to a larger tank its a 110litre juwel tank, i put gravel in then filled it with dechlorinated water, before transferring the fish I noticed there was a clear looking slick on the waters surface but didn't think to much into it as I was putting as much of my old tanks water in when I put the fish in the bigger tank (50litres roughly) And had cleaned the tank and gravel before adding water.

Tank has been running with no problems alongside my old filter for a few weeks but the slick is still there?? I've tried using kitchen roll on the surface but it returns the next day?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Watty88

Re: Tank water slick

Postby Rockfish » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Higher waste levels combined with too little surface movement normally cause a film on the surface, it's usually wastes sticking to the surface film.

If you've used around 50% fresh and 50% original water in your new tank, then the waste levels ought to be fairly low, depending on what they were before. Have you tried angling the output nozzle on your Juwel filter upwards to break up the surface more with the output?
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Watty88 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi Sean

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

Yes I have angled the output nozzles on both filters that are running towards the surface to create plenty of movement, this just creates a circle of clear water with no film but then rest of the surface has the slick.

Should I try and air stone and use kitchen roll for a while to see if that sorts it?

The strange thing is that I ran the tank with no fish in for a week so there shouldn't of been any waste and still had the film, could I be using slightly too much dechlorinator?

Thanks dan
Watty88

Postby Rockfish » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi Dan,

An airstone will probably help to get rid of it more quickly, especially if you lift off any obvious slick with kitchen roll as well.

I wouldn't expect a slight overdose of dechlorinator to cause it, but a significant overdose might, given that most dechlorinators contain slime coat protectors, etc that are often protein-based and can over-activate skimmers.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Watty88 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:34 am

Sean,

Thanks for the help, will try the airstone and kitchen roll amd also cut down slightly with the dechlorinater as I usually add slightly more to be safe.
Watty88

Return to Help!