ammonia and nitrite

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

ammonia and nitrite

Postby lavens2 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:43 am

hi, i'm new to this site and to having a tank and think i may be making a mistake.
i have a 200ltr tank and has been up and running for about 3 weeks, after about a week and a half i added 5 dannios on advice of the fish shop, did water test daily and ammonia and nitrite levels where at 0. 4 days after adding the dannios i was given a fighter fish, 4 neons, 2 corys and 2 african dwarf frogs. now the ammonia is at about 0.5 and the nitrite is at 1 and has been for about a week and they never seem to change, I have been doing water changes daily. Should i be worried? Should i do anything? there is ammonia remover media in the filter(fluval 205), should i remove this? any advice please
lavens2

Re: ammonia and nitrite

Postby Rockfish » Sun May 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi,

As you've realised the extra stock being added so early has probably caused your ammonia and nitrite spikes. However, you do have a decent volume of water, so hopefully the levels won't go any higher with that amount of stock. The frequent water changes will help to keep things in check, and it would be wise to feed very little to reduce wastes (this won't do the fish any harm, but higher waste levels will of course).

If the fish don't look stressed/off-colour and are acting normally (e.g. no gasping at surface or rapid gill movements) then you might just get away with no serious issues, Your pH will have an influence on how toxic the ammonia and nitrite are.

It might help to add one of the "bacteria in a bottle" type products, some of the newer ones on the market do seem to genuinely lower ammonia/nitrite levels quicker than without using them. Alternatively, if you know anyone with a mature aquarium, a squeeze of 'dirt' from mature filter media will work even better (some shops might even help with this).

Ammonia removers can complicate things in a cycling tank, but it might actually be helping in your current situation, so it might not be a good idea to remove it (unless replacing it with fresh).
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Mon May 04, 2015 12:49 am

I always understood ammonia removers (like Ammolock) don't actually remove it but bind it so it still shows up in tests so the water might be fine but ammonia is still showing as it is there but made harmless by the product?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby lavens2 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi
Thank you for the replies, ammonia has dropped now but nitrite has been the same for about a week now. How long should it normally take for it to drop. I'm still doing water changes daily.
lavens2

Postby Rockfish » Mon May 04, 2015 8:57 pm

It's good to hear the ammonia is dropping, so at least things are progressing. Nitrite can often take a little longer, sometimes a couple of weeks or more.

With you mentioning 'media', I'm guessing the ammonia remover is Fluval's own product, the resin that comes in a bag? If so, the resin physically binds the ammonia to the resin so that it's removed when the resin is removed, but it's not easy to tell when the resin might have already bound its maximum capacity.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Help!