Breeding

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Breeding

Postby iTzClarkey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:55 pm

I am going to university this year and I will be taking my tank so for the year I would like to start a breeding project.
Does anyone know of any unusual /rarer fish that I could breed, not impossible but fairly tough. My tank is 5x2x2. If I can't get anything unusual or rarer then I might just go for discus. Nothing in particular I'm looking for so just a wide range of suggestions would be great.
Also are there certain fish that have never been bred in captivity, I would love to try this but obv is extremely hard.
I prefer to have fish which not many people have so if you know of any that aren't in shops I could always pay and have them shipped in if possible.
All help appreciated.
iTzClarkey

Re: Breeding

Postby Carylnz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:58 am

I have no idea which fish would be considered rarer in your country but for difficulty, what about some of the L numbered plecs? There are some beautiful ones out there and many will be wiped out by that big dam they are building on the Amazon :angry: .
Do you have many of the Australian and New Guinea rainbowfish there, Melanotaenia sp? Boesemani are gorgeous. There are over 65 species currently known and more being discovered all the time as, like African cichlids, most species are only living in one lake or a small part of a particular river. Out of these species, some of them have more than 30 colour variations so endless variety!
Congo tetras look gorgeous and a tank that size could hold a lovely number. They look beautiful in large groups.
Breeding most fish is relatively easy. Raising good quality fry to adulthood is a lot harder!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!