Bristlenose breeding

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Bristlenose breeding

Postby liverpool » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:06 am

Hi guys
I'm confused as hell with this....thought I had 1 black male and possible two females. Yesterday we noticed all hell breaking loose between the two female as if fighting over a cave entrance. The white is defending the red wants to get in. On inspection there are lots of orange eggs in there. Who the hell is the male and female as only the black shows signs of bristles lol
liverpool

Re: Bristlenose breeding

Postby Rockfish » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Once the female has laid the eggs, it's the male that guards them - does the black coloured one appear to be in the cave? Perhaps they are the white females eggs, and the red female is trying to use the cave as well to lay eggs? However, if the black one is not guarding the eggs, that would suggest they're not his, and they could be the white "female's"?
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:14 am

Have you got more good spawning sites? You might, if you have 1 male and 2 females, end up with the male dividing his time between the two ;-)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby liverpool » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 am

Yeah there are a few good sites for them...the black is showing no interest in the cave at all. The Red one after all the fighting as kept away from the cave leaving the white one the guard and fan the eggs
liverpool

Postby Rockfish » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:27 pm

That sounds more like the white one might be a young male not showing bristles yet, and the interaction with the red female at the cave entrance may have been a spawning related skirmish, with the male keeping the female away once she had finished laying her eggs.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby liverpool » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks guys keep trying to have a peek the male is still guarded but I'm sure I can see flashes of tails down there
liverpool

Postby liverpool » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:08 pm

It was indeed some breeding going on....managed to catch only 6 of the little ones all blackish so I'm now sure the red one was just getting in the way of the male.
Today I've spotted the black female & white male hide away in the same cave and hey presto more eggs :D
liverpool

Return to Help!