Controlling snails?

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Controlling snails?

Postby Frenchieboy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:46 pm

OK guys I've got a bit of a problem that I am hoping that some of you more experienced fish keepers can offer some advice on. One of my tanks (My Guppy breeding tank) has been invaded by snails. There are three different types of snails, the usual small flatish ones, some curly ones (Rather like the ammonite fossils you sometimes find) and then there are the more "pointy hard shelled" ones. (Sorry I don't know the proper names for them)
They only seem to be in the one of my tanks but there are hundreds of them and the more I clan out of the tank even more seem to appear in no time at all, they make the tank look unsightly and uncared for - They are no only all over the glass but they have taken over the plants (I have this tank quite heavily planted)
Can anyone suggest a way of minimising/eliminating these darned pests please?
I ought to add that I do have quite a lot of young guppies in this tank so I am a little wary of using any chemicals that might effect the young guppies.
Frenchieboy

Re: Controlling snails?

Postby jonswallow » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 am

The easiest way to deal with your snail issue would probably be to add snails! Assassin snails will eat other snails, and are slow breeders so won't overrun your tank. I wouldn't get too many as once your snail population is under control you will need to ensure they are fed properly (they are meat eaters). As with all snails they need harder, more alkaline water for their long term health due to their shells. But since you are overrun by snails I guess your water is suitable! Also, as they are burrowers they will appreciate a sandy substrate.

I should say that I have no experience with these, but have researched them as potential stock for my new tank.
jon
jonswallow

Re: Controlling snails?

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:42 am

How is the snail problem going now?
We do not have assassin snails in my country so that is not an option here.
They are encouraged by the leftover food that will be in the breeding tank. Try squishing as many as possible as they are a good source of live food for the fry.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Tank Talk