Suggestions please

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Postby Superman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Next question...

Is it best to get fish from the same part of the world? Or is it each fish keeper's choice?
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Superman wrote:It shall be Monday 16th July on the way home from work. Unless I'm not tired after my flight then it'll be the day before.

Can't wait :D

That's my 21st birthday! :D
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:20 pm

Superman wrote:Next question...

Is it best to get fish from the same part of the world? Or is it each fish keeper's choice?

In general yes definately because there are different biotopes around the world that fish species originate from so they require different temperature, pH, hardness and tank decor. Of course lots of fish are tank bred and have an extended 'range' of conditions they can live in but really you're more likely to be able to get a good stocking list by sticking to one general group, such as South African Cichlids OR South American Cichlids etc. Also if they're found in the same places in the wild the chances are they'll co-exist rather than waste energy on competition and agression that would cause their death and subsequent extinction in the wild...

Oh I'm enjoying this...it's like an essay I'd do for Uni but without scary marks being given out for it...
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Superman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Hmm thought so.

I took a trip to the LFS near my mum's yesterday and stood and watched some tiger barbs in their tank. They were so funny. They kinda just stayed in the same place but if one got too close to another the other would go for it.

So am thinking of getting some tiger barbs which are from SE Asia according to my book. But then the little Cory's i like come from S America.

Thinking for the upper levels a group of zebra danios. Would they go well with the tiger barbs?

Can anyone suggest something for the lower level? I would like maybe a bigger feature fish for down there.

Superman

Postby David » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:49 am

I personally don't and have never had any problems with mixing fish from different regions and I've kept acidic preferring fish with akaline fish with no probs. Mainly depends on you LFS's water. I think this rule applies with fish caught from the wild.

If you do want a SE set-up, zebra danios and tiger barbs would go great.

For the bottom, loaches can be if not more colourful than corys and just as active, take zebra loaches for example!

So if you went danios, barbs and loaches. And a centrepiece, hmm, non really that suitable for that set up, what sort of thing were you looking for?

David
David

Postby Superman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:05 am

Been looking at zebra loaches as they're not that big. Although, it says they like to have friends too. Don't know if my tank would take a few of them.

Thinking about maybe 8 tiger barbs (maybe a mixture of their colours including green tigers) = 48 cm of fish, then about 8-10 zebra danios at 36-45 cm of fish.

So thats about 84-93cm when I'm only supposed to have about 97cm of fish.

Getting a zebra loach at 7.5cm each would tip the scale for my tank. However, I could drop a few of my other fishes to allow a male and female zebra loach (if you can easily sex them).

So maybe
8 coloured tiger barbs @ 48cm
6 zebra danios @ 27cm
2 zebra loach @ 15cm

Total 90 cm which then leaves me some room later on if needed.

Might have a shopping list there!
8)

Superman

Postby David » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:26 am

Zebra loaches needs shoals! They simply are unhappy in pairs and tend to hide all the time!
Sexing most loaches is very hard!

Very hard choosing fish eh?

And the shoal of 8 barbs would be a min BTW!

But have alook at kuhli loaches or the more expensive dwarf chain loach??
David

Postby Superman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:40 am

When you think you're sorted :roll: :lol:

David wrote:Zebra loaches needs shoals! They simply are unhappy in pairs and tend to hide all the time!

Oh bummer

David wrote:Very hard choosing fish eh?

Yes very :lol:

David wrote:And the shoal of 8 barbs would be a min BTW!

Can I get away with just having the barbs and danios then? Or is it best getting something that spends the time at the lower levels? My book says that the barbs like the middle and lower. How about like some crab type?

David wrote:But have alook at kuhli loaches or the more expensive dwarf chain loach??

Do they like just being in pairs?

Superman

Postby David » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:52 am

You don't need bottom dwellers, but the gravel/sand can get messy with uneaten food which will add to ammonia. :?

Kuhlis and dwarfs need to be in shoals to i'm afraid.
Both counted at 2" though..

What about a single bristle nose plec?

Also, what about replacing the tiger barbs with pentazona barb? pentazona's will not nip, they're smaller allowing for more fish and just as colourful!
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/barbpent.htm
David

Postby Superman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:58 am

I'm now thinking of a bigger tank! :roll: 8) :lol:

Superman

Postby David » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:04 am

Superman wrote:I'm now thinking of a bigger tank! :roll: 8) :lol:

No, what you do is get the rio 125, then think, oo i would love to have a large shoal of these barbs, get a rio 400, then think i want a nice quarantine tank and it never ever stops!

If you get one tank your doomed! 8)

But don't be put off! :P
David

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:10 am

How about 8 tiger barbs
3 zebre loaches
6 espei rasbora...

here are my little rasbora, they stick near the top and are colorful quick swimmers

Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby gib » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:10 am

David wrote:Zebra loaches needs shoals!

hi

hey superman good luck with your new hobby!

if by zebra loach you mean Botia striata then they are fine in a group of 3 and do not get very large. I have had some for years and they are great fish that i would recommend.
gib

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:46 am

Superman wrote:I'm now thinking of a bigger tank! :roll: 8) :lol:

I'm thinking of flooding the cellar...

My parents would kill me so I probably wouldn't have time to stock it...
By the way, I've had my tank for seven months and I still haven't finished socking it... :shock:
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am

Of course finding suitable socks for an aquarium isn't easy...I meant stocking...(stockings are hard to find too, as are tights and leggings...)
Becky

Apistogramma

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners