BEACH ROCKS?!?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

BEACH ROCKS?!?

Postby Jonathan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:17 am

Will beach rocks mess my water chemistry and can we use beach sand for a tropical tank?! If not what kinda of sand will be good?!
Jonathan

Postby moocowmoneybox » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:48 am

Some beach rocks will mess with the water chemistry.

If you decide to try some then its a good idea to boil them up to remove any residual brine / salt from them.
After that its worthwhile checking if they are limestone or not - this is a quick check with vinegar. Add a few drops of vinegar to the rock - if it starts bubbling/fizzing then it is most probably limestone. (limestone will raise pH as it is alkali, vinegar is acidic so when the 2 get together they react)
As a final step to be sure the rocks are OK you can soak them in a bucket of dechlorinated water for a week and check that the pH does not change.

Not sure about the sand as beach sand is an overall mix of lots of different types of rocks and shells that have eroded over time. It could be OK but then again it could cause a major change in your water chemistry (which is a bad thing).

A lot of people use 'play sand' that you can get from toy shops for kids sand-pits.
I bought aquarium silica sand - it may have cost more but at least i had the knowledge that it wouldnt affect my water.

Hope that helps
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby David » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:56 am

I like Argos play sand! :wink:

But after a very good wash!

David
David

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Another thing to look for with beach sand is the shell content as it will alter the pH. If the sand is too fine it will compact too much as well.
Carylnz

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:08 am

Its just cuz I got a bigger tank and I wanted to have a really cool environment in ur guys opinion which is nicer sand or gravel??
Jonathan

Postby krekra » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:20 am

It really a personal choice. I like gravel. I think it is easier to clea and easier for my plants to root in. I also think that the darker solored bottom helps the fish to feel more secure. They do make black sand for aquariums...its caled onyx sand and is quite nice looking too.

A lot of people like the look of sand and certain fish prefer it. Have a look around at different set ups to see what you like. Ther are some nice tank pics in thevisitors section of the main forum here
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:43 am

Honestly I like the sand aquariums but I think Im going to go with gravel!! thx for the help guys.. another question I got this tank from 2nd had and I noticed some scratches on the inside glass I guess is when people moved this around they kinda did should i be worried?!
Jonathan

Postby krekra » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:45 am

As long as they are scratches and not cracks you should be OK. If you arent sure then turn off all lights and shine a flashlight through the "scratch". If it is a crack then you should be able to see the fracture plane.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:47 am

its only scratches not cracks the scratches are not that deep if you know what i mean I don't think its anything serious but I did resealed the joints with silicon!!
Jonathan

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:59 pm

krekra wrote:As long as they are scratches and not cracks you should be OK. If you arent sure then turn off all lights and shine a flashlight through the "scratch". If it is a crack then you should be able to see the fracture plane.

Thanks for that one...I will remember it! :D
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Goldie Girl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:40 pm

I have Beautiful white pea gravel in my large tank and Black onyx gravel in the goldies tank, the weather loaches are in the tank as well and love the sand, half the time they are buried you really have to look for them. :D
Goldie Girl

Postby Goldie Girl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:41 pm

I meant to say Black onyx sand :oops: :oops: :oops:
Goldie Girl

Postby debbbydoo » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 pm

I have a mix of sand and gravel as well and really like the look of it. It also makes it easier for the eel to burrow into it!!
debbbydoo

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm still debating in my mind what to use.. I really like gravel but I wanted to try sand!! I just don't know does any one knows the pros and cons of having sand instead of gravel?!?!
Jonathan

Postby moocowmoneybox » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:02 pm

fish waste sits on top of the sand, so it is in view.
needs stirring to prevent anerobic pockets forming.
it can limit your choice of planting.

a few +'ves now:-

as you can see the fish waste on the surface you can target it easier when you do water changes (hold the end of the hose just over the waste and watch it get sucked away)
the stirring of sand adds almost no time whatsoever to water changes.
Certain fish love to play in the sand and burrow into it so you can get more natural behaviour.
its safer for fish with things sticking out of their noses / mouths (i think they are called barbels) as there is no risk of them getting damaged when they swim around the substrate.
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Return to Beginners